Re: [DML] Re: lower evap casing

What are you talking about, tuxr!  Ed, It IS possible to have EXCELLENT long term aircon in a DeLorean.  I overhauled my airon not long after buying my car 6 years ago and it is still going strong!  To remove the evaporator assembly you will need to remove the glove box lid, glove box, centre console, and move the assembly that holds the stereo and central airvents slightly out of the way.  You then need to take the spare tire out and remove the access panel and disconnet four pipes two are for the heater matrix and the two larger ones are for the evaporator core.  Once you then disconnect these the whole evaporator assembly can be removed.  It sits in the drainer plug socket so you need to lift it around 1/2 inch before pulling the assembly towards you.  The assembly itself is easy to dismantle as there are just screws around the perimeter holding it together.  I araldited (not adhesive, hard and lasts forever) a soft material to the flaps as the factory foam was crumbling
 away.  This I did for two reasons.  One, you have a better seal for when the flaps are open/shut and secondly you get a nicely quiet refined thump as they change position opposed to the metal against plastic sound that you could possibly hear without.  Once you open the assembly you can then determine the condition of your evaporator and of course clean out the dust, leaves and other things that have accumulated in there over the last 25 years.  Refitting is the reversal of the above!  Change the dryer while you are at it too (the thermos flask object next to the front passenger side wheel).  If the system is already gassed then this should be depressurised safely first.  You may also need some black mastic to re-insulate the evaporator pipes.  You will also need some pretty big spanners too..  32mm is the largest.

  Hope this helps.

  Chris

tuxr <tuxdarby@xxxxxxx> wrote:
          Hate to tell you this, but you will never ever never fix that
problem. It's one of those Delorean things, if your car gets it,
you're stuck with it, forever. You can replace every component
involved, twice, it will come back, it's supernatural. Others may
dispute this, but after you try a variety of good suggestions, report
back in 6 months and give the results. I've had two Deloreans, and if
there's one thing that holds me back from getting another is that I
live in Florida and can't deal with the A/C issues. Actually who am I
kidding . . . I'll end up with another and just sweat, small price to
pay I guess.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ed & Roxie Cohen" <rdcejc@...> wrote:

> Can anyone give me the procedure for removing the lower evaporator
casing.
> I am getting water inside the car and have cleaned out the drain tube
> several times. I think there is gunk inside that is clogging the
tube and
> want to clean it out.
>
> Thanks
>
> ED 6944