[DML] Re: Fan current

Joe posted this at DMCTalk and there is some excellent discussion
being had off of this post over there:
http://www.dmctalk.com/showthread.php?t=7315

Some good numbers and scenarios are be discussed!

Sean Mullins
DMCTalk Moderator
Check out our free monthly giveaways sponsored by your favorite
vendors & parts suppliers!

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "joekuchan" <josephkuchan@...> wrote:

> I just uploaded two pictures to the photos section of the DML in a
> new folder titled "Fan current". With all the discussion lately
> about what various fan designs draw I decided to find out for myself
> what stock DeLorean fans really draw. I used a calibrated and zeroed
> clamp-on DC ammeter to measure the current of each of the two fans
> in 6195. These are original, never been replaced, 26 year old fans,
> by the way.
>
> For this test the Joe Cool was removed and replaced by a fused fan-
> fail jumper and a fan relay. The ammeter was clamped first on one
> leg of the jumper then the other to measure each fan independently.
> The car was started and the AC engaged to run the fans. The photos
> show the readings with each fan at its stabilized running current.
> Note that one fan draws 9.1 amps and the other draws 9.4 amps.
> That's a total of 18.5 amps, considerably less than the 28 to 30
> amps they have been rumored to draw.
>
> Of course a defective fan, say one with a broken blade, bad
> bearings, or shorted windings could draw more, but a normally
> functioning fan draws nowhere near the 28 to 30 amp figure that has
> been bandied about.
>
> As for current surges on start up, yes, this is a normal occurrence
> with motor loads. Depending on the motor's design it might draw
> anywhere from 4 to 6 times it's normal no-load running current on
> start-up. This is completely normal and is the result of what is
> known as back-EMF (back electromotive force) that is generated in
> the motor's windings during startup. The 4 - 6 times rule of thumb
> applies to the "no load" current demand of a motor. The fans on a
> DeLorean, even in their steady state running condition, ARE under
> load by the way. The fan blades are moving air and it takes real
> work (i.e. current) to make this happen. So we might not expect the
> start up current of a DeLorean fan to be somewhere around 4 ? 6
> times the 9.4 amps running load that I measured on 6195. It will
> probably be somewhat less as the no-load current of the motor would
> actually be somewhat less than 9.4 amps.
>
> All of this is the real reason why 15 amp fuses typically won't blow
> on normally functioning fans. The fans don't draw 15 amps normally
> and the startup surge is of too short a duration for the fuses to
> blow.
>
> The only reliable way to measure the actual current on start up
> would be to use a strip-chart recorder, storage scope, or some other
> fast-response recording type of current measuring device. Trying to
> read the swinging needle of an analog ammeter won't work for this
> job as the mass of the meter movement, frictional losses, and needle
> ballistics are such that it won't accurately follow the current
> profile. A digital meter has none of these problems, but they suffer
> from a sampling rate that is too slow to follow the current profile
> and the rapidly changing digits are hard to read in any case.

> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)