[DML] #5470 To sell or not to sell

Hi fellow Delorean owners.

  In August, I picked up AUTOMATIC #5470 (October '81) from a charity auction.  Former owner of this Delorean had passed away and wife donated to a charity in Southern California; i know that it was owned by this Los Angeles husband and wife since around 2002; they kept it in the garage.

  Car looks good besides some rusty bolts, on the bottom; has a solid metal frame; one minor dent on the passenger quarter panel and two minor dings, one on the hood and one on the top of the passenger door.  Front facia has eyebrows, but both front and rear facia have their bold grey paint still and are not flaking or anything. Car has flat hood, not gas flap.

  Car has a strong engine/well running engine, whose oil/filter i just changed, it has a new alternator. Odometer shows 4772 miles, but probably like 20k-30k on the car.  Coolant fans turn on as car runs cool. Fuel accumulator was just replaced to fix warm start problem; cold starts fine, too. Seats are nice and have been redone to look original if not original. Instrument Binnacle is new or just in great shape, dash is nice enough and has one minor hair line crack toward upper center, windows work, doors open and stay open, as does trunk and engine compartment struts; everything latches; cd player is correctly wired in sound good; I got all lights/courtesies/backup etc. to work except one brake bulb on driver's side bc the spot on card is probably bad. The 6 door lights are disconnected.

  I brought the car to a reputable Delorean shop only to find out that it needs some more things:

  Car does stop, but could use calipers/master/hoses all the way around.
  As I said, the car runs cool, but the coolant hoses underneath could stand replacement; coolant hoses in the engine compartment has been done, fuel guage doesn't work, speedometer doesn't work, it is out of front alignment just a bit, likely valves have never been adjusted on the car, but could use it in the next 10k bc maintanence chart suggests every 30k. Steering bushing is worn and should be replaced in 5-10k. Auto trans works fine, but the computer inside could use replacement since it doesn't always shift into 1st upon take off; I can manually shift into 1 and then to D, if I can live with it; transmission leaks a little bit when running, and replacing the tubing could help that.  Also, the AC doesn't work; i put r-12 in and the clutch worked some of the time and it cooled some of the time, but system has leaks.

  Anyway, I'm debating whether I want to get the work done and drive it East or just sell the car, locally.  This is my second Delorean and I love that it is an automatic just like Back to the Future!

  Where is a good place to advertise the car for sale in the Los Angeles area?  I would take between 15-17 k for the car, which is what I've been told is fair amount from my reputable Delorean technician.  He also said that is a good Delorean that just needs things that haven't been updated over the years.

  I just don't know if I should keep it or not.

  Please email me w/ your opinions on where to advertise, etc. at

  fishheadlouie@xxxxxxxxx

  I really don't wish to clog up the DMC forums w/ replies to my message, but thought it would be a good way to get some insight.

  Thanks,

  Tony #5470

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional