[DML] Re: stage II (Faster Cap & Rotor Changes)

[DML] Re: stage II (Faster Cap & Rotor Changes)

Mine are a 5 minute swap because they're not covered up.

Even K-Jet owners can have faster access if they convert to dual
exhaust, jetisoning the exhaust crossover pipe in the process. The
ignition distributor is the first thing you come to from the backside
of the engine. From underneath the car, it quite literally is in your
face. The fuel metering unit still needs to raise up about 1/2" for
clearance, but simply loosening the mounting screws accomodates that.
The unit certainly doesn't need to be moved or removed.

Ignition distributor in my AMC (GM's 151 -- I *WISH* AMC had developed
their own 4 cylinder at that time) has similar access issues. Is
burried under the intake manifold and carburetor. I used to change the
cap and rotor by braille. Then one day I happened to look up from
underneath the car. There she was, staring me right in the face.
Haven't changed cap & rotor from above since.

The PRV was first developed with very different intake manifolds.
Ignition distributor access wasn't an issue then. Even the first fuel
injection manifold didn't cover it up (I've posted a pic to #5939's
photo album). Only in the final K-Jet setup was it burried.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...> wrote:
>
> I have no problem with owners that modify and customize their cars. I
> do not encourage it nor recomend it but if that's what you want to do
> "GO for It" and enjoy. I only try to point out some of the things to
> consider, for instance, who is going to service it, does it really do
> as claimed, how long is it going to last, and if it affects the value
> is it a negative or a positive? For the owner that can and does do his
> own work it may be cheaper for him to do but in the process he loses a
> "second opinion" by not having a mechanic to help him understand what
> is going on. Of course the car was built to an economic sell point. Of
> course we have "Leather Seating Surfaces" and a crummy radio. If you
> start changing everything at what point is it NOT a Delorean? IMHO the
> closer you can keep a car to it's origionality the more valuable it
> is. Things that can be easily undone (replacing an ignition coil for
> example) have less of an effect than say doing an engine swap. That
> said it IS your car to do with as you wish. You can even drive it off
> a cliff!!!!!!! (Just kidding but someone is NOT!) Keep trying to
> improve the car and let us know what works and what doesn't. Not all
> of us can change a distributer cap and rotor in 5 minutes. If we all
> could a tune-up would be a LOT cheaper and quicker!!!!! BTW many of
> the "upgrades" you mention are for safety or reliablity, not to
> improve performance.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

<*> Your email settings: