[DML] Re: stage II (High Voltage Ignition)

[DML] Re: stage II (High Voltage Ignition)

I rearranged the terminals on my stock grid so I'm only running 1.5
ohm in parallel. I go in through the male terminal on the jumper and
tied two terminals together on the original input/output ends. Didn't
want to delete the resistors altogether because my alternator was
putting out very close to 14 volts (I'm using the alternator that came
with my crate engine) and I wasn't sure of the electrical integrity of
the ignition module. I've run a DeLo with a Ford Duraspark, so loss of
the Bosch unit wouldn't be the end of the world, but I didn't want
that to happen on the way to Pigeon Forge (remember: the trip to
Pigeon Forge was my test drive). Under my current arrangement, I can
lose one of the original resistors with zero effect on ignition. One
of them could be dead right now and I just don't know it....

Can't remember what plug gap I'm running. Ignition is timed 10 degress
BTDC, but I have a totally different vacuum advance setup (it's ported
at the throttle plates). My distributor may also have different
counterweights (I used the one that came with the crate engine) but
I've never taken it apart to see.

Of course I use a set of John Hervey's wires.

Coil is the Pertronix 40,000 volt model.

Another post chided me for increased cap & rotor wear. Changing my cap
& rotor takes less than 5 minutes, so I really don't care (K Jet users
have the same benefit if they simply convert to dual exhaust, but
that's a dead horse for another thread). I'd run a set with brass
inserts if they were available, but PRV users seem stuck with
aluminum. Oh well, at least I'm patronizing the vendors.

I again ask the rhetorical question: Some owners *PAINT* their
stainless steel; some owners revamp the interior (even changing
seats); almost no one is still running an original sound system; so
what's the big deal about a $40 ignition coil? You can't even see the
thing behind its plastic cover. In the world of DeLorean ownership
there are much bigger sins.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "welmoedj" <joe.dalton@...> wrote:
>
> Bill, your words came at the right moment!
> Hear, Hear.
> I second your explanation.
> Done that too, however I have not yet bypassed the resistor grid as
> the info from Pertronix said only to do so when racing (aren't we
> doing that? uuuh, no)
>
> Welmoed.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional