[DML] Re: stage II (High Voltage Ignition)

[DML] Re: stage II (High Voltage Ignition)

Bill, your words came at the right moment!
Hear, Hear.
I second your explanation.
Done that too, however I have not yet bypassed the resistor grid as
the info from Pertronix said only to do so when racing (aren't we
doing that? uuuh, no)

Welmoed.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

> While new components certainly don't hurt, I beg to differ with your
> assessment of high voltage ignition.
>
> Higher voltage coils not only create a stronger arc (especially when
> used with *SINGLE* electrode plugs -- remember, electricity can only
> make one arc per inductive ignition cycle), but they allow you to
run
> a bigger plug gap (larger arc). Timing can be bumped closer to TDC.
No
> matter what the atmospheric conditions may be, with high voltage
> ignition you're combusting (no more "English morning" syndrome).
>
> Note that the nice people at DMC had to bypass the resistor grid to
> improve cold starting performance (increasing coil output).
>
> I run high voltage inductive ignition on every vehicle I own, with
> excellent results. Note that 40,000 volt coils will burn out 7mm
plug
> wires.
>
> Most performance coils are designed for *NO* external resistor. If
you
> run one with the stock 3 ohm grid you will cut down on the actual
output.

> Capacitive ignition throws multiple sparks. Those of us with old
> fashioned coils have to make the most of the single spark we get.
>
> High voltage ignition is one of those hot button issues that causes
> schism in the DeLo community totally out of proportion to its cost
or
> effect. A Pertronix coil costs $40 -- one of the cheapest things
> you'll ever buy for your car. A set of 8.5mm wires is not a
permanent
> modification -- subsequent owners can easily go back to 7mm
Bougicords
> if they subscribe to a different philosophy. I have no idea why
owners
> upgrading cars TITLED IN THEIR OWN NAMES create such dissention....
>
> Bill Robertson
>
> >--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@>
wrote:

> > If changing the coil and the ignition wires added power then I
submit
> > your old ones were worn out and it had nothing to do with the
> > performance parts you installed. The fact that the parts you
installed
> > were new and in good condition was probably the reason you
noticed any
> > improvement (not that they were performance parts).
> > David Teitelbaum
> > vin 10757

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional