[DML] Re: DUMB QUESTION OF THE DAY

We are all driving around in what are basically prototypes (DMC only
built one prototype that remotely resembled final production). The
cars were also rushed through development at a breakneck pace. The
wonder isn't that our vehicles have design flaws -- the wonder is that
they aren't so riddled with them as to be unusable.

BTW: I think DMC did an admirable job of hitting the nail very close
to the head. DeLoreans are far from perfect, but they are even farther
from disasterous.

First & foremost: ensure the vehicle doesn't have a short further down
the line (remember that lightbulbs will give a false ground reading).
Bad terminal connections can also cause a wire to heat up (that's what
happens in our relay compartments) -- check the terminals at both
ends. A single larger gauge wire is fine, but if there's another
problem the brown wires will simply melt elsewhere. When my dashboard
light switch failed I had sporatic damage all the way to the back of
the console.

Original electrical tape in the engine compartment is pretty much
fried by now. When I did my engine swap I rewrapped the entire harness
back there. Electrical tape of course provides absolutely no
protection from an overheated wire (like a dead short), but it does
keep things neat & tidy.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mike clemens <rmclemns@...> wrote:
>
> This seems like a really dumb question, but my
> research has not yielded any definitive answer, as to
> why it was designed this way.
>
> I'm working on Josh's car and decided to pull the
> electrical wire between the alternator and the binding
> post underneath the engine bay electrical cover.
> Why??  Because it appeared the electrical tape
> wrapping this "wire" was melted badly in several
> places.
>
> This 'brown wire', according to the diagram, is
> actually three, 10 gauge wires, all connected together
> at both ends.  On Josh's car, two of the wires were
> melted pretty bad and covered over by the PO (a really
> ignorant PO) by layering on electrical tape.  Why they
> got so hot is not the nagging question, I think I know
> the answer to that one, the wires rubbed thru the
> insulation and touched the frame, causing lots of arcs
> and sparks.
>
> The question I have is:  To replace the wire is a
> given, but should I replace it with three 10 gauge
> wires again or can I just use a 4 gauge battery wire
> instead??  It seems really dumb to me to use three
> smaller wires when one bigger one should work just as
> well or better.  Maybe one of you electrical engineers
> could chime in and let me know why it was designed
> this way.
>
> Mike   TPS    1630

> Check out the hottest 2008 models today at Yahoo! Autos.
> http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: