Re: [DML] Title Search

What you REALLY have to be careful on is when a Title goes through
different states... it can be "Washed Clean" by that I mean a Title
that was certified Salvage or a Rebuilt(from Salvage) title can be
Washed clean as it passes from one state to another state,so just
because a Title is "clean" that is presented to you on purchase of
the car Does NOT mean the car was not a Salvage or Rebuilt from
salvage car at one time,and if it was Salvage or Rebuilt BEFORE the
Dawn of using Computers(as with the Delorean)for record keeping,it
may never show up on any site that keeps such records,such as carfax.
 A car such as the delorean,with it's major use being in the 1980's
would not show the higher mileage,since "back then" it would have
been easy to "change" the mileage to reflect whatever you wanted it
to be.Since of course the car was still new and did NOT show it's
telltail age wear,as it would today(sun bleached interior/rotted
frame/worn out/cracked rubber/plastic pieces/flakey wheel paint etc)
 With a Delorean today as with old Muscle cars of yesterday..you
really cannot tell it's past history,unless FULL paperwork is given
with the car detailing it's FULL past history from year one.Soo when
buying a Used Delorean,it is imperative that NOT only is a FULL
physcial checkup is done to the car for it's past Damage and or
repairs,but the same MUST be done with it's paperwork history..and
NOT just for the the last "few years" but from Day one of it's BUILD
DATE...And that would not include any damage done from normal factory
defects,that caused melting or overheating or stress cracks or rot(on
the frame)so your work is cut out for the typical Delorean
buyer..who "sees" perfect SS body panels and possibly a clean
interior..and ASSUMES the rest of the car follows suit in that
fashion,and later is presented/finds out that it has a bad or rotted
frame/bad/burnt wiring,no updates,and worn out..possible dangerous
suspension pieces..such is the tale of buying a used Delorean without
doing your homework and full history of the car..unless you are
willing to to have a car that YOU MUST be able to repair yourself(or
have deep pockets)NEVER buy a Delorean without doing a full
background check on it,or with it's history papers..you will be
paying for it in the long run,when the car become a bottomless pit
for throwing money at it.And NEVER buy a Delorean as your primary
car,unless again you get it's full history papers,NO word of mouth
history,that is just BS,and should be taken with a grain of salt.
Just a few things here That I presented to the potental buyer of a
Delorean to think about.

Claude

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Todd Nelson <todd@...> wrote:

> I just recently had to have this done when I bought a car out of
state,
> not a DeLorean, but that's irrelevant.  Since the title was printed
in
> Oregon and I wanted to register the car in Vermont, I had to fill
out a
> 1 page form, and swing by the local police department to have an
officer
>   verify the VIN and sign the document.  I then had to present this
> document at the DMV when applying for registration.  Just one extra
step
> in the registration process, not a big deal.  But no, this isn't
the
> same thing as a title search, just certifies that the car is the
car you
> say it is before the state will allow a local title printed for
it.  I
> now have a Vermont title for the car and that is the official one.
>
> Todd Nelson
> 1561, Vermont
> http://1561project.com
>

> Wilson Hitchings wrote:
> > So what's a VIN verification? Most car dealers, new and used, can
do
> > them. I'm required in Colorado to have one before registering the
car.
> > Is a VIN verification the same as a title search?
> >
> > --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@>
wrote:
> >> Most States charge for title searches. They NEVER give
information >

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: