[DML] DMCH headlight switch problem/trouble

[DML] DMCH headlight switch problem/trouble

List & James

I am having some difficulty with the new switch from DMCH. I followed
the instructions very carefully, double checking myself at each step. I
opted to connect the "auto off" feature. There seems to be a problem
with it and was wondering if any other people have had the same
problem(s). I checked all crimps, connections for play, etc.

 From what I understand, when the switch is turned on, either in parking
lights only mode or headlight mode, the unit will "auto off" when the
power is cut to the unit via key being turned to the "0" and/or removed
from the ignition cylinder. This doesn't seem to be the case with my unit.

With the key inserted and turned to the "I" position, headlight switch
engaged fully (headlights), if the key is turned back to "0" the
headlights turn off immediately.

With the key inserted and turned to the "II" position, headlight switch
engaged fully (headlights), if the key is turned back to "0" the
headlights turn off immediately.

With the key inserted and turned to the "II" position, headlight switch
engaged fully (headlights), if the key is turned back to the "I" the
headlights will "auto off" in 20-22 seconds (the LED [in the switch]
will blink rapidly during this period). Though this scenario works, it
doesn't work every time. At times, the LED will not blink; it will stay
lit and the headlights will remain on.

Also, my parking lights stuck in the ON position (once) regardless of
how many times I pushed in the switch and cycled the key in the
ignition. The only way to turn off the parking lights was to disconnect
the battery. There were times where the headlights would not engage if
the switch was depressed too quickly, but most times, the speed didn't
affect its operation. I played with different lengths of time between
actions, but it didn't make the switch auto off any different. Actually,
this seemed to confuse the switch and caused the above mentioned
scenarios (more than once).

When engaging parking lights, the LED would blink once, dim and then
come to full brightness. When pressing a second time, to engage
headlights, the LED would blink twice, dim and then come to full brightness.

Should the "auto off" feature work when the key is turned to the "0"
and/or removed from the ignition cylinder? This would make sense, right?
Am I wrong with the way this feature works? Has anyone else experienced
this scenario? Could I have a defective switch/control box?

Thanks,
- Joshua Schwartz
Monroe, CT
001292 - DMCH headlight switch
020098 - DMC OEM switch

BTW, the addition of the red LED for the hazard switch was a nice touch.
I was amazed that the original switch was missing this all these years.
I was so used to the old green/blue color, that when I changed it to the
LED, I was very impressed. Now, if there was a control box that would
make the hazard light switch blink when the switch was engaged...

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)