[DML] Re: Idle Adjustment - idle varies from 600 to 1200 rpm and almost

[DML] Re: Idle Adjustment - idle varies from 600 to 1200 rpm and almost stalls

Thanks David,

What's the best way to view the throttle plates to verify closure?
Do I need to take the "w" shaped pipe off, or can I view through the
air inlet with a mirror?

Thanks,

Paul
vin 10944

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...>
wrote:

> Turning screws in the vain hope of "fixing" things usually just
make
> even more work to do straightening out all of the "adjusting" that
was
> done. The correct way to set the throttle plates IS to disassemble
> things so you can make sure the stop for the plates is adjusted
> correctly. Once the plate adjustment is set (and it should NEVER be
> touched because it should never change) you can then proceed with
> adjusting the idle switch. It should just click and always click
when
> the throttle plates are closed. Use a meter to verify, sometimes
you
> don't hear the click. Check the quadrant link, the throttle spool,
and
> the throttle cable. You may have to disassemble, clean, and
lubricate
> everything to make it work nicely. You will NOT fix this by
twiddling
> the adjustments. To adjust the throttle plates you undo the screw
all
> the way, close the plates, then bring the screw up until it touches
> the stop. Give it 1/4 turn more so the plates just barely hit the
> sides. The stop screw should take all of the pressure, not the
> throttle plates.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet@> wrote:
> >
> > I tried to adjust the idle speed microswitch adjustments (one is
the
> > throttle plate stop, correct? and the other the microswitch
> > actuation).  I admit I don't quite understand these adjustments
(other
> > than the microswitch actuation to kick idle down).  I adjusted
them
> > because my idle kept sticking high (1200 rpms) until I tapped
the
> > floor pedal, where it would kick down to about 1000 rpms (a
steady
> > idel at this rpm).  I thought I could adjust my idle from 1000
to the
> > recommended 750 by adjusting the throttle plate stop screw, then
> > adjusted the micrositch after this.  It did lower the rpm, but
it is
> > now erratic, constantly swinging between about 600 (where it
almost
> > stalls) and about 1200, not settling in one spot (after warm
up).  Do
> > I need to open the stop screw a bit more to settle the idle?
> >
> > How do I view throttle plates to set the stop screw correctly,
without
> > dismantling things.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Paul