[DML] Re: Electrical Gremlins

Quick and dirty answers:

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao@...> wrote:
<SNIP>
> 1) Does anyone know the proper way to clean a bulb and socket? When
> signaling, my directionals worked only in "fast blink" mode. I
> replaced the rear boards/bulbs, and cleaned the front bulbs and
> sockets with rubbing alcohol. Now they all blink fine, but the left
> front parking light is out. I think  that the connection isn't clean
> enough.

Just pick yourself up a Lightsocket Cleaning Brush. You can find them
in any automotive parts store, and should only set you back $2-$3.
It'll look simular to this:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/139.gif

A good mixture of 50% Rubbing Alcohol and 50% distilled water will
make a good solution to clean electrial connections (water won't
evaporate as fast, so it'll wash the grime out of your way). Aside
from a good wire brush & light sandpaper, a pink pencil eraser will
work wonders too. Especially on areas like circuit boards where you
want to be gentle.

> 2) The reverse lights are inoperative. Since I installed new
> boards/bulbs, I think it must be the revers light switch. I searched
> the shop manual, but can't find its location. Any suggestions?

Part # 106332. You'll see it on page 4-1-1 of your parts catalogue.
Just unplug the wires, screw the thing in with a wrench and you're
done. Located on the drivers side of the trans, and it has a rubber
boot that covers the electrical connections. Assuming that this is a
5-Speed? In any case you can always insert a wire jumper to make sure
the lights do work before ordering any parts.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional