[DML] Re: Sputter and Cough! - All the way home.....

[DML] Re: Sputter and Cough! - All the way home.....

Given the amount of fuel you used in 60 miles - the problem is most
likely something that manages the main fuel pressures.

It is probably a malfunctioning control pressure regulator or the cold
start valve. I doubt the problem is a bad frequency valve or a problem
with the Lambda simply because the fuel consumption is so high - Lambda
issues don't normally cause that much of a fuel dump. Of course it
could be anything that manages fuel pressure including the main control
pressure valve or a sticking fuel plunger. You need access to a fuel
pressure test gauge to diagnose the system properly. If you want to
start a part at a time - I would start with the control pressure
regulator. I would check to see if the filter screen is clogged, etc.
before I replaced it. You can also check the cold start valve.
Everything else really needs the right tools.

BTW - assuming you still have one - there is a possibility the cat was
destroyed (burned up) by driving 60 miles and dumping that much fuel. I
would check it to be sure it is not clogged or coming apart inside.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "outatime81" <outatime81@...> wrote:

> On my way home from the Northeast Exotic show, my car started to
> sputter and cough blowing out a light black smoke.  I went through
> 3/4 of a tank of gas in about 60 miles.   This was happening
> periodically for the past 4 weeks only in the mornings.  > Any
ideas?  O2 sensor?

> Thanks
>
> Tom

<*> Your email settings: