[DML] Re: DMC in the news/VIN Tags.

Note: I'm coming late to the debate on this one, as I'm still playing catch-up with my mail
and some messages.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cbl1739" <cbl302@...> wrote:

> Isn't the Black Fiberglass body *THE* area that counts as the VIN,in
> other words you could change the frame/drivetrain/interior/body
> panels,and it would make no difference for the vin plates/title,but
> change the Black body,and you have to use the vin plates from that
> body.
<SNIP>

The VIN plate thing has been debated for a long time here. And most likely, someone with
a legal background is going to have to settle this one. You cannot alter the VIN # of a
vehicle, but the law says nothing at all about a person "relocating it". Ie drilling out rivets
for mount the VIN plate over onto a new dashboard. That seems to be a gray area here.
Most time whenever a restoration occurs, the Cab and Chassis (unless said vehicle is of
Unibody construction) are kept togetherto avoid this issue. Now what's interesting here is
that altering and removing the orignal VIN tag is illegal, but no provision is given for
*relocating* it. So, hypotheticly speaking, it would be illegal for me to install a used
Dashbaord in my car, because it was at one time assigned to another vehicle, but NOS
never been installed is acceptable. In fact, with most manufacturers cars now day having
their VIN #'s affixed to each body panel and even etched into eachpanel of glass, it's illegal
to replace any of them with pieces off of a salvage vehicle from he junkyard. But if those
pieces were never assigned to a vehicle to start with, then that's alright. So legally it is
acceptable to swap DeLorean underbodies over to a new vehicle if they are NOS (chassis is
exempt as it doesn't have any VIN stamps). And as long as you moved every factory
assigned VIN plate/tag over, even one of the new Camaros would legally be entitiled to be
titled as a classic.  In fact, you could technicly have DMCH build you a brand-new car,
move the tags over (only needed a seperate tag to signify if a replacement engine was
installed-see below). The only catch of course is that it is it would then become illegal to
be in possession of the old vehicle, so you would have to destroy it's remains and abandon
it. Legally, that would be ok.

The whole VIN tag thing is really uncharted territory, which is why if you swap engines,
body panels, etc, it's best not to say anything and just let the car pass along. And since
most cars have a lifespan, it most likely will never be challenged.

As for drivetrains, that can technically vary from state to state. In California for instance,
you're not supposed to just swap out engines on cars, even if they are the same. You have
to affix a plate of some sort to indicate What type of engine was swapped out, when it was
done, and what mechanic did it. I imagine that on DMCH's refurbished cars with the nice
little plates in the back for the Stage II engines, that little plate with Steve's signature on it
fills that requirement just right.

> There is ERA Cobra near me,( http://erareplicas.com/ )
> that makes world class replica Ford Corba's GT40's and others,from
> Scratch,(including the Frame and suspension and interior and wiring
> etc)what they do is use THEIR OWN vin plates,that says ERA on it,and
> put Their Vin Numbers,
<SNIP>
> But selling them as a kit,from what I understand Lotus did the
> same thing on one of their very first cars that they produced,you
> bought them as kits.
>
> Cbl

Lotus only sold cars as kits car to get around the large tax on cars.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6711067.stm (picture 3)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_car
Even GM does this right now by building cars in the US, and then completing their interiors
in Shanghai to avoid import taxes.

Second, in low production #'s, cars are elegible for exemption from crash testing. If a
small manufacturer of limited production vehicles can prove that they have done the
utmost dilligent duty to conform with safety as best that they can, but that compliance
with crash-worhtiness would place a hard-ship on them, then yes, their cars can become
exempt from crash testing.

http://thefederalregister.com/d.p/2006-05-22-E6-7754

So no, there is no reason for these new cars to be labels as kits. They are eligible in fact to
be called production vehicles.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

<*> Your email settings: