[DML] Re: Idle too high, but kicks down when I tap the gas pedal

[DML] Re: Idle too high, but kicks down when I tap the gas pedal

It's easy! Just a few of steps:
Step 1 disassemble
Step 2 clean and lubricate
Step 3 Reverse step 1

Be careful as there are some springs in inside. Make note of
positions. There is also a split bushing which is SUPPOSED to have a
split in it. The quadrant link has tiny clips in each end just like
the struts on the doors so pull them BEFORE trying to remove the link.
As for the throttle cable lubricate as per the recall. The way I do it
is after it is disconnected I put a short piece of hose over the end.
I fill the hose with anti-freeze and use compressed air to force it
in. Keep a rag under the gas pedal and keep blowing until you see
anti-freeze come out.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet@...> wrote:

> Thanks David.
>
> How do I properly lube the throttle spool?  Spray WD-40 within it?
>
> Paul
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@>
> wrote:
> >
> > This kind of symptom will usually be caused by a misadjusted idle
> > micro and/or looseness (play) in the quadrant link connecting the
> > throttle spool to the throttle arm. Even with play in the link you
> can
> > usually adjust it so it positively sets the idle micro. I also
> > recommend cleaning and lubricating the throttle spool and the
> throttle
> > cable. After 25 years it may be time to clean and relube! Don't
> forget
> > to see if the carpet or the floor mat is interfering with the
> pedal.
> > The idle is supposed to be 775 = - 50 RPM's. So even at idle you
> are
> > not idling right @ 1,000 RPM's. Check that the 3 brass screws are
> > lightly closed. Use a meter to verify that the idle micro is being
> set
> > and is not defective.
> > David Teitelbaum
> > vin 10757
> >

> > --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Lately (over the past week or so) when I come to a stop while
> driving
> > > the car, the idle is hanging around 2000 rpms.  However, if I
> tap the
> > > gas pedal, it kicks back down to around 1000.  Is this the idle
> speed
> > > microswitch possibly not engaging properly?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Paul

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional