[DML] Re: New Delorean production....

Yes I relise that the Lotus was not "new" but it was evolving into a
supercar..that is my point,lotus was improving on their car,and at
the same time doing the R&R on the Delorean,both car were to be
British built,both aimed at the American market and behond,both were
being built on the same basic engineering methods,and both were
going after the same people...Only JZD wanted to flood the market
with Deloreans..so where would that put Lotus and their more
expensive Esprit..I am sure Lotus did not relish a twin Turbo
Delorean that could outperforme their Esprit Turbo...Do you see
where I am getting at,JZD was to put out a Twin Turbo Delorean at
less than half of the Lotus Esprit price,if you were in the market
for that type of car which would you buy...a easy choice.
I to had at one time a 93 and a Buddy still has a 83 Turbo Esprit
and just looking at his car(not fair using a 93 as compairsion)and
it is a world of difference in engineering for the Esprit it was
BUILT TO race Car Standards,it handles way better than a
Delorean,not to mention performance,and the styling.It is more
finely finished,granted it had it's problems,but compaired to what
Lotus did for the Delorean,the Delorean was engineered to a lesser
degree.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mike.griese@... wrote:

> The Esprit was 4 years old by the time DeLorean got involved with
> Lotus.  Hardly a new car.........
> I have compared the Esprit with the DeLorean side by side - for
the past
> 10 years.  I own an '83 Esprit Turbo (since 1997) and an '81
DeLorean
> (since 1992).  In fact, Bruce Benson and I wrote an article
comparing
> and contrasting the two that was published in issue #3 of
deloreans
> magazine.  There are a number of things about the DeLorean are
> better than the Esprit (interior layout, HVAC, gearshift, rearward
> visibility, luggage space, NVH), and there are a number of things
> that are better about the Esprit, foremost is performance and
> handling.  Other than the selection of materials, interior fit and
> finish was about even, with more/better leather in the Esprit.
Exterior
> fit and finish was probably better on the Delorean given the
additional
> rigidity of the doors.  The places where the cars are the most
similar,
> they share some of the same problems - engine cooling and sensitive
> electrics are probably the most similar.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)