Re: [DML] Re: New Delorean production....

Re: [DML] Re: New Delorean production....

I'm kinda surprised that the Esprit keeps coming up here.  According to
Stainless Steel Illusion, the frame was not copied from the Esprit but
rather the Elan.  Check pages 72 and 73 for yourselves.

Johnny
5518
AZ-D

On 8/11/07, Tom Niemczewski <dmctom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Speaking about the frame I have a question to the people who have
> actually
> seen or compared the DeLorean frame and a Lotus frame. Does Lotus have
> equally poor engineered suspension as the DeLorean?? I have my frame
> completely stripped at the moment and while looking at all the components
> only one thing comes to my mind "What were they thinking?"
> The rear suspension is OK... I would expect more of it, but it is ok.
> Nothing more though.
> The front suspension is a $^#^% mistake to say the least ;)
> The bad things are:
> Rear:
> TABs
> TABs mounting on both sides
> Shock mounting on the bottom - the mount should be turned 90 degrees
> Thin and weak hub carrier
> No adjustments except for toe
>
> Front:
> Pretty much everything....
> Upper control arm - should be stronger
> Lower control arm - should be stronger A-arm
> Sway bar that controls caster and toe
> Spring putting load on the lower control arm and the entire weight of the
> car on the lower ball joint
> No adjustments except for toe
>
> This design would be poor for one of those tiny matchbox sized European
> city
> cars but the DeLorean was suppose to be a sports car! The Esprit is
> definitely a sports car and I wonder how good the suspension is.
>
> BTW, I am redesigning the frame and pretty much the entire suspension on
> my
> car. My frame is beyond repair as it turns out that the previous owner has
>
> wrecked the car pretty bad. I am building a new stainless steel frame from
>
> scratch! It should be interesting... I can't wait to drive the car on that
>
> new frame and suspension. Oh, my frame will still use much of the same
> parts
> as the original - ball joint, bushings, bolts, etc.
>
> Tom Niemczewski
> vin 6149 (in Poland!)
> Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
> dmctom@xxxxxxxxx <dmctom%40gmail.com>
> www.deloreana.com
>
> > --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <dmcnews%40yahoogroups.com>, mike.griese@...
> wrote:
> >>
> >> The Esprit does not have an identical frame. They share the
> >> center backbone and trailing link suspension layout, but
> >> the front suspension mounts and engine cradle are completely
> >> different. There is a lot more torsional rigidity in the Esprit
> >> frame than in the DeLorean, which is the main issue with
> >> adding significantly more horsepower. The DeLorean would
> >> flex too much, compromising handling.
> >>
> >> The reason you can't buy a new Esprit is because it couldn't pass
> >> crash testing anymore. The car had been brought in on waivers
> >> since the late 80's and Lotus finally couldn't get them renewed.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mike

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional