Re: [DML] Re: New Delorean production....

Re: [DML] Re: New Delorean production....

I actually have a bare Lotus Esprit frame sitting on my garage
floor waiting to be built up.  The front suspension arrangement
for the Esprit is stouter.  The biggest difference is that the frame
of the Esprit does not have to accomodate the fuel tank, so the
box section runs completely forward to the shock towers.  There
is more adjustability in the Esprit front suspension as well.  The
80-84 Esprits used trunnions in place of a lower ball joint, and
the upper control arm was an A arrangement with the ball joint
bolted in such a way that you could change caster with shims
on either the ball joint or the sides of the A arm.

The rear suspension has the shock mounting change you called
out.  The bolt that attaches the hub carrier to the lower link
is long enough to accomodate the coilover shock mount.  The
trailing arm bolt arrangement is slightly different, although the
main features are the same - the Esprit TAB is fixed to the
frame at only one end, and the free end is allowed to move
by the trailing arm bushing.  There aren't as many shims in this
area in the Esprit and I think the bolts are shorter.  There is
adjustment for toe and camber with adjustable upper links.
Esprits before 1988 had inboard brakes, so the hub carriers
and half-shaft arrangements were quite different.  The later
Esprits used the Renault gearbox similar to the DeLorean and
went to outboard brakes.

The handling of the Esprit is very good, and is robust enough for
everyday use.

--
Mike

-------------- Original message from "Tom Niemczewski" <dmctom@xxxxxxxxx>: --------------

> Speaking about the frame I have a question to the people who have actually
> seen or compared the DeLorean frame and a Lotus frame. Does Lotus have
> equally poor engineered suspension as the DeLorean?? I have my frame
> completely stripped at the moment and while looking at all the components
> only one thing comes to my mind "What were they thinking?"
> The rear suspension is OK... I would expect more of it, but it is ok.
> Nothing more though.
> The front suspension is a $^#^% mistake to say the least ;)
> The bad things are:
> Rear:
> TABs
> TABs mounting on both sides
> Shock mounting on the bottom - the mount should be turned 90 degrees
> Thin and weak hub carrier
> No adjustments except for toe
>
> Front:
> Pretty much everything....
> Upper control arm - should be stronger
> Lower control arm - should be stronger A-arm
> Sway bar that controls caster and toe
> Spring putting load on the lower control arm and the entire weight of the
> car on the lower ball joint
> No adjustments except for toe

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional