[DML] Re: New Delorean production....

When DMC realized they need to hire the engineering expertice to go
from concept to production they approached Porsche but they
determined they would need at least two years to get things to the
production stage. Investors, including the British government, were
pressuring DMC for a return on their money. Lotus felt that by
utilizing some of their already proven mechanical designs they could
get the car to the production level in a year. Lotus already owned
the rights to their VARI moulding process (vacuum assist resin
injection) for the plastic under body and they could get things
rolling with these already proven items rather than continued
experimenting with DeLoreans early idea. Where you came up with "cash
cow" and the rest of your scenario insinuating Lotus dupped DeLorean
is beyond me but it just wasn't so.

Bruce Benson

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cbl1739" <cbl302@...> wrote:

> Basically when JZD went to Lotus Engineering(Porsche was the
orignal
> place he went to)anyway Lotus just outright scrapped the orignal
> engineering plans for the DMC,and whipped out the Lotus Engineering
> Drawings/blueprints...and used those for Reference ONLY(not to copy
> it point to point)and used the tried and proven engineering that
> went into the Lotus Esprit,and made the required changes to
> (Reasearch and Development) engineer the basic concept of the
> backbone frame layout to fit the Delorean,along with the wiring and
> suspension,and fitting of the(JZD's not Lotus's ideas)Gullwing
> doors,and the infamous idea
> of the Damn Golf Bag in the passenger compartment(behind the seats)
> and engineering the Delorean to be a rear enginned car VS the
Esprit
> being a mid engine car.They also used/engineered the same two piece
> body concept,except in the case of the Esprit,it was finished off
as
> THE FINISHED Body and PAINTED VS the Deloreans two piece body was
> unfinished(and unpainted)and was covered with the Stainless Steel
> Body Panels.Basically it was a way for the Cash strapped(at the
> time) Lotus to cash in big time(by "conning" JZD into buying into
> using the Lotus Esprit Engineering),by not having to totally R&R a
> new engineering concept for the Delorean,and therefore using DMC as
> their Cash Cow and "milking it" for all it's worth.(ie:Getting as
> much as you can out of the deal,just as JZD did to the British
> Goverment)
> Hope that explaines it somewhat
> CBL

<*> Your email settings: