Re: [DML] Re: DIY Door Light Switch Upgrade: Magnetic Switches

Re: [DML] Re: DIY Door Light Switch Upgrade: Magnetic Switches

Ah, of course -- I didn't even think of a DPST relay to handle
drivers-side both door switches at once.  My problem was that I got
the wrong switches, which resulted in my lights being on when the
doors were closed, and thus I needed the relay to be energized when
the lights were in the "off" state to invert the behavior of the
switches.  Not that I have any idea how much a relay draws; I really
should hook one up to an amp meter someday.

Now I'm strongly considering getting a DPST relay so I can try that;
I only replaced the door light switch on the driver side, not both
switches (the other switch is for the buzzer, right?  I've never
heard it, since I think the PO disconnected it).  Did you find a DPST
automotive relay, or use something else?  On the other hand, magnetic
switches can be pretty cheap and it'll plug up the other light switch
hole. :)

Also, I found a source for more powerful magnets than the ones that
come standard with the switches, but without having to buy a whole
set of them like I did.  I think the ones I have are here, but it's
difficult to tell without buying one.  They're only $0.65 each:

	http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?products_id=98

Here's a bunch of other magnets they sell, too:

	http://www.magnet4less.com/index.php?
cPath=10&osCsid=26959ccf53ccc4b315c9a2faac57907b

-- Joe

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Joe Angell <jangell@...> wrote:
>
> A DPST relay would work because it is open circiut (with a form B
> switch) when the door is closed, and therefore does not draw any
> current. When the door opens, the switch will activate the relay and
> switch both circuits at the same time. But the key is that it has to
> be a switch that is open when door is closed.
> I have a schematic of the whole ciricut that I will try to post when
> I dig it up.
>
> Tom

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional