RE: [DML] bttf event/DCS Vegas

Yep - that's the one...

My car was purchased by Universal for $26k, they spent a lot of money on
promotion and repairs to ensure they didn't get sued by the new owner,
and then they raffled it off twice.  Both times the winners passed on
the car and took a cash prize of $26k instead.

All in all Universal had over $78,000 in the car before they realized
they couldn't give it away, plus the costs for repairs, promotions, etc.
I suspect they lost more on this one car than anyone else ever did, with
the exception Johnny Carson perhaps.

The car was technically beyond totaled.  It sat outside the tram garage
for more than a dozen years, it was used as a paint stand, a pallet
rest, the engine wiring harness was food to many a wayward rodent.
Glass was broken out...  the interior a nightmare, but it did come with
half a tank of 1993 gas in the tank!

I'll hesitate to say how much I purchased it for, but it was less than
Danny Botkin spent on his Junker, and likely in far worse shape.  I sent
Don and Danny photos of the car before I bought it in an attempt to try
to set a fair value with Universal - that estimate alone was well in
excess of $26k, just from what was known.

I've done 98% of the work myself, and generally the car is a nice daily
driver (or it will be again later this month when it has fresh head
gaskets).  I do wish I could buy a new dash though...

I'll have a few before photos of the car in Vegas as well I guess, but
this car is a small part of a much larger journey...

Ken has confirmed a slot in the show for me.  My only regret is that I
don't think we will be screening the film in an omnimax dome - I have a
pretty good idea where to get a film print.

Tom