Re: [DML] Brake resevoir and cap - was Body Care

Re: [DML] Brake resevoir and cap - was Body Care

I had owned my refurbished DeLorean about a year when I drove it to the 2002 DCS in Memphis. On the way the brake light occasionally would come on . I hoped it was just the emergency brake switch and tried to convince myself it was, since it would randomly go out when I moved the emergency brake handle(just a coincidence).  I talked to Stephen Wynne at the show and he advised me to check the brake fluid to be sure it was not low.  I walked to Advance, bought a can of DOT 4 fluid and found that the fluid was not low when I checked it. I took the car by Stephen's motor home and he offered to check the brake fluid and I told him it was fine. He proceded to remove the carpet from the trunk and found that the fluid was slightly low when he checked the BRAKE fluid, I had checked the clutch fluid! To say that I was embarassed is an understatement. To make matters worse when I returned home I could not find my tray of cleaning materials, probably containing $75 to $100 worth of
 cleaners, polish, etc.  A couple of weeks later Warren called from DMC Texas and asked if I was missing a tray of cleaning materials after the DCS Show. I had left them on the ground when I cleared out the trunk and Stephen found them later. They mailed the tray of cleaners  to me and even paid the postage. The brake light has never been a problem since. I knew where the brake fluid check point was and where the master cylinder check was, the excitement of my first show and my first distance trip in the DeLorean just caused a brain overload. At least that is what I blame it on. Rod  10921

David Teitelbaum <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:          It did not occur to me that someone could confuse the clutch cylinder
with the brake cylinder so I didn't know what he was saying. It does
make sense though, a new owner would NOT know where to look for
anything. I bet you are right, he found the clutch master. The BRAKE
master is under the rug in the bonnet. Remove the rug and then remove
the big round cap and you will see the top of the resovoir. The cap
should have a plug with wires connecting to it. Check the level in it
and if it is low then you know what the light is trying to tell you!
Adding brake fluid is a stop-gap measure. If it got that low it is
leaking and you MUST fix it. Get under the car and look up at the
master brake cylinder and check for leaking brake fluid. Also pull the
driver's side carpet and look there for any signs of brake fluid. Then
check each caliper and hose. BTW the black button in the center of the
cap on the brake resovoir is to test the brake light. With the
ignition on you press the button and the brake warning light should
light up.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

[moderator snip]