[DML] Thanks, Dan!

I wanted to thank Dan Haney for letting me drive my first Delorean
today, sit in one that's not on blocks, take the wifey for a drive in
it. He kindly let me stop by his home prior to the Orphaned Car Show
in Golden, CO. Every family member I brought with me got to sit in
it. I'll email him some photos so he can post them should he see fit.

Although I've made a deposit on a Delorean, I haven't made the final
decision. Although I drove one today, I have come to the conclusion
that I need to see the build quality and finish of a refurb'd one
from DMCH. I'm not assuming anything, good or bad, but after all my
posts on this website (and everyone's wonderful replies) I've come to
some conclusions:

1) A refurb'd one costs as much as a modern, large luxury sedan. I
cannot expect a rocking-chair 6-way seat, cruise control and ABS
brakes in a 27-year old sports car design. I have to realize I'm not
going to get a living room/rocking chair driving experience like a
Lexus. A Delorean is probably 1/2 the weight and 2/3 the hieght of my
Avalon!

2) I *must* like the driving experience and the car *must* be
comfortable to me. If my back aches after 30 minutes, I'll never
drive the car. It's too expensive to get something you don't like to
sit in. Since seating comfort is subjective, you just have to drive
it as much as you can prior to purchase. I didn't adjust Dan's seats
or steering wheel while driving it.

3) The inside of the car is fine to me; the doors don't intrude into
the cabin as some have said, my head didn't hit the roof, the
steering wheel will adjust. The footwells are much tighter, however,
than my Avalon, as many low sports cars are.

Basically this experience today drive me to visit DMCH and see a
refurb'd car. I'd like to drive one, make sure the parts are the
latest available, the car doesn't rattle or squeak, etc. Dan's was in
very good shape so I want to see what the extra $$$ buys me.

I'll head down there in the next week or so. Thanks everyone for the
help and kind responses about the cars. After 27 years Dan's still
looks great and drew 2x-4x the crowds of any other car at the show
today. Of even some rare cars I'd never seen before, Dan's Delorean
was the only one where people would stop and have their photo taken
in front of the car. They took photos of the other cars, but never
their family photos in front of the other vehicles. Crowd pleaser it
is...

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: