Re: [DML] The dreaded question, NO FLAMES PLEASE...

Re: [DML] The dreaded question, NO FLAMES PLEASE...

Wilson, Unlike you I never really cared much for DeLorean cars when they came out. Due to my family size at the time I was more into station wagons and the DeLorean was an impractical and cost prohibitive choice. When my older son was 9 years old he saw BTTF and became infatuated with the car.  He dragged me to see one for sale when he was in high school. The car had been torched by the owner's estranged wife. The owner wanted $8,000 for the remains. I explained to my son how you could not find parts for an orphan car(wrong) and he assured me that any Volvo dealership would work on it(also wrong). Skip ahead to his first year in law school. He found a DeLorean for sale in a nearby city for $6,000 and insisted that I go to look at it. The car was a dirty, ratty mess with no battery, no fuel pump and semi-flat tires. I ended up buying the car for much less than the asking price. My son put me in touch with DMC Texas and using their nickle they told me what I needed to do to
 get the car started. After installing a new fuel pump in a newly cleaned out gas tank and with a new battery  I turned the key and probably the worst thing that could have happened, happened. It fired up. This was in 1999, the plates on it were 1990. As I proceded to repair 10 years of neglect and to get the car somewhat road worthy, a strange thing happened. I got hooked on DeLoreans, probably more so than my son. In 2001 I traded that car to DMC Texas for one of their refurbished cars. I have never regretted the purchase of the refurbished car. Having the prior car which had "potential" makes me appreciate the refurbished car even more. In 6 years of ownership it has been practically trouble free. When I look at what I would pay now for a refurbished car,  I am even happier that I made the purchase then.  In six years from now, which car do you think you will look back and appreciate having the most the DeLorean or the Mercedes? It is a judgement call only you can make.
 DeLoreans have drawbacks,(luggage space, 2 seats, etc.) but I have never regretted my purchase and I have always enjoyed the many perks of DeLorean ownership. Good luck as you ponder your options. By the way, my DeLorean gets 26 mpg on interstate driving at 65 to 70 miles per hour. Not bad for 1982 and not bad now.  Rod Dillman  VIN 10921

Wilson Hitchings <canon20dfan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:          First off, let me say despite what my wife says, I've always wanted a
Delorean ever since I saw one. Nothing is more attractive to me, it's
just a neato car. While the spousal unit says I've only mentioned one
since I saw the BTTF movie rerun on national TV, I remember wanting
one in college.

Having said that, and currently considering a remanufactured one from
DMC Houston, I have a quandary. My bro' sent me an eBay Motors
listing of a gorgeous 2003 Merc SL-500. I mean the space shuttle
doesn't have the bells and whistles this car does. I'm not a Merc fan
but the Germans sure do build them pretty. And make parts for 'em.
And this particular one is actually costs the same or less than a
remanufactured Delorean from DMC.

Had you asked, I would say NO to spending household money on a large
Mercedes. Wonderful cars, just not something I've wanted to have; the
thought never came to mind.

So (NO FLAMES PLEASE) to all the current "D" owners out there...TELL
ME that if I were to buy a "new" Delorean from DMC that I would NOT
regret sitting in a Delorean rather than a SL-500. I always wanted
(I'm ashamed to admit it) the curb appeal and the wow factor of a
Delorean and those spectacular doors...what's a mid-lifer to do?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)