[DML] Re: The dreaded question, NO FLAMES PLEASE...

[DML] Re: The dreaded question, NO FLAMES PLEASE...

Eh, go for the D. I'm biased. I wanted one since I was four, and ended
up getting one 20 years later. Sure, they need TLC, some more than
most- but what classic doesn't? Gotta love the DMC-12: the image, the
fame/infamy depending on your POV, the stainless steel...they're not
the greatest but they are honestly great cars. And they look great
IMHO! I'm happy with mine. At least she's driveable. Erm...most of the
time.

In all due fairness to Mercedes though, let me go on record as saying
those things are nothing to cough at either! My dad once had a 220 D
he got in the mid 70's, brand new, straight from Germany. That thing
was built like a tank. He once drove it (accidentally of course) off
an exit ramp in the winter, up in MI. The car lasted until the frame
rusted through when I was 19 or so. I guess the salt and crappy
Detroit weather will do that to a car. Otherwise, I'm sure my family
would still have that car today. heck, even my D's frame is a little
worse for wear after 2 years up there.

Top things I looked at when purchasing/repairing my D (in no order)
-mileage, could be innacurate
-engine condition/fuel system, especially the rubber or perishable parts
-clutch and transmission
-electrical system *in progress still*
-working headlights, natch
-brake lines/cylinders/calipers
-radiator and cooling parts (see electrical, emphasis on fans, rinse,
repeat)
-speedometer angle drive

This was basic stuff so I didn't kill myself the first time I drove it.

I guess bottom line I'd say be practical. But have fun too! And
um...buy a stainless frame for both. (half kidding)
"You must choose, but choose wisely." -Grail Knight, Indiana Jones &
The Last Crusade :P

-Johnny
Weston, MO
VIN#10715, 1982/Grey interior/5-speed standard
owner since 2004, continually chipping away at restoring mine, but
still love the DeLorean

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Wilson Hitchings" <canon20dfan@...>
wrote:

> First off, let me say despite what my wife says, I've always wanted a
> Delorean ever since I saw one. Nothing is more attractive to me, it's
> just a neato car. While the spousal unit says I've only mentioned one
> since I saw the BTTF movie rerun on national TV, I remember wanting
> one in college.
>
> Having said that, and currently considering a remanufactured one from
> DMC Houston, I have a quandary. My bro' sent me an eBay Motors
> listing of a gorgeous 2003 Merc SL-500. I mean the space shuttle
> doesn't have the bells and whistles this car does. I'm not a Merc fan
> but the Germans sure do build them pretty. And make parts for 'em.
> And this particular one is actually costs the same or less than a
> remanufactured Delorean from DMC.
>
> Had you asked, I would say NO to spending household money on a large
> Mercedes. Wonderful cars, just not something I've wanted to have; the
> thought never came to mind.
>
> So (NO FLAMES PLEASE) to all the current "D" owners out there...TELL
> ME that if I were to buy a "new" Delorean from DMC that I would NOT
> regret sitting in a Delorean rather than a SL-500. I always wanted
> (I'm ashamed to admit it) the curb appeal and the wow factor of a
> Delorean and those spectacular doors...what's a mid-lifer to do?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)