[DML] Re: the alternator

sorry for the lack of info.  here is the whole story.
when i first go to crank the car it turns over but then cuts out.
the second time i crank it, it turns over and i apply the gas pedal
and it comes to life.  if right after that i take my foot off the gas
pedal, the rpms go from about 10 to below 10 and back and forth,
sputtering a bit, and the battery light comes on.  if i give it gas
again the light goes off and i usually keep it between 10 and 20
rpms.  after a few minutes when the engine warms up, i can take my
foot off the gas and it stays at 10 rpms and idles fine.  so then i
put it in reverse, and it does what it did in the beginning,  until i
give it gas and back up.  after that i put it in drive and go.  while
driving there isn't a problem.  the volts stay at about 13 (also 13
when in park)  when i come to a stop light, the volts drop to about
11 or 10.  and sometimes (not all the time)  the engine will sound
like it's skipping a beat and the battery light will fade in and
out.  as soon as i go again when the light turns green, the volts go
back up and it's fine.  i thought it might be the alternator on
account of the volts moving with acceleration.  the thing about the
battery light is that it will sometimes come on when the volts read
fine.  but i'm not entirely sure about the gauge accuracy.  deff need
to hook a voltameter and read it myself.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft@...>
wrote:

> There are soooooo many things that could cause the light to come on
at
> idle, in gear, that it is too much to take a shot. It could be as
> straight forward as your idle is too low - but that is a whole set
of
> other issues.
>
> We need much more info. Like what is the rpm in gear and at idle?
What
> are the volts - at idle and driving? Anything else noticeable? Has
the
> electrical system resistance been checked?
>
> Harold McElraft - 3354
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "rydelo81" <rydelo81@> wrote:
> >
> > hello.  sorry to keep perpetuating the battery/alternator
> discussion.
> > just having a problem.  i just put in a new battery.  now i
notice
> that
> > whenever i put the car in reverse or drive, at times the rpms
drop
> and
> > then go up and the battery light comes on.  as soon as i start
> driving
> > it's fine and the light goes off.  i'm sure i need a new
alternator.
> > but just wanted to check and see if any of you think it's a
different
> > problem causing this.  sorry if this is stupid, but does putting
the
> > car in drive or reverse put more strain on the alternator, and
will
> > getting a new one fix the problem?  in park or while driving it's
> > fine.  thanks for any help you can offer.  ryan the newb out.
vin3932

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: