[DML] Re: fuel tank crash safety

The tank is made of plastic and can deform a lot before it would be
ruptured. It *could* be pierced by a sharp edge but that would
probably cause it to leak slowly. JZD was prescient using a plastic
tank. He did this YEARS ahead of most of the other manufacurers. Can't
corrode or split open, protected underneath and on it's sides, and
able to be serviced inside even when installed in the car. IMHO it is
one of the safest installations I have seen in a car. If you hit
something at 70 MPH you have a lot more to worry about than the tank
in your car. Besides, if you hit another car at 70 MPH head-on the
other car could erupt into flames. We did have an instance of an owner
reporting that his tank fell out. He admitted trying the car out
without reinstalling the plate under the tank. The weight of all that
fuel loosened the tank. If you are worried about safety I can give you
a lot more important things to worry about. Driving a Delorean is
scary when you stop at a light and all you see are the lug nuts of the
SUV's all around you!!!!!! They can't see you, you are under their
mirrors!!!!!! They will just go right over you so don't worry about
the gas tank!!!!!!!!!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "daviddlasvegas" <daviddlasvegas@...>
wrote:

> Has there ever been any concern about the location of the fuel tank in
> a severe frontal collission? Most cars these days hide the fuel tank
> under the middle frame. I know the DMC fual tank is technically inside
> the frame so to speak, but its all the way in the front. Wouldn't the
> tank be comprimised in a severe frontal collission? Watching the old
> crash test videos, the entire front of the car is demolished at 40mph.
> I guess you'd also need an ignition source and the hot engine is in
> the rear so that's a plus.
>
> Here's how the Ford Escort fuel tank did at a 70mph crash at the
> NJTurnpike tollbooth. Granted the impact would probably kill you
> instantly but I wouldn't want to cook like that.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4bj_3oUxuo

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: