[DML] Re: Using Ethanol-blended fuel

Gasoline is going to be very different in the future. You will see
more additives and blends of various things. Some will require
modifications to older cars. As of now if you don't go over 10%
Ethanol and don't store the car with it in there you should be OK.
Problems will occur if you already have water contamination in your
car's fuel system so it would be a good idea to inspect and clean out
the tank once a year. On Deloreans we are "lucky" in the respect we
can get inside our tanks and the tanks themselves can't corrode. You
are correct in worrying about this now. Over time even 10% Ethanol
will deteriorate the rubber compounds in our fuel systems. The vendors
will probably see this before most of us because they supply parts to
cars all over the US and some areas will have different stuff before
others. The Mid-West will see a lot more Ethanol than the East Coast
for example. By then I am sure the vendors will stock more resistant
parts as they reorder new inventory. I can't speak directly for the
vendors so you may want to get in touch with DMCH since they supply
the majority of parts to the majority of the vendors. I am sure there
will be a lot more about this in the near future on all of the car
forums, we are not the only ones that have to be concerned about this.
In the meantime I expect we will be hearing about a lot more car fires
in the news. Happened when the auto manufacturers started putting fuel
injection into all of the cars late 80's-early 90's. "O" rings and
seals would pop under the high pressure and *POOF*.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

-- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Travis Graham <tgraham@...> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem with using E-85 (or any
> highly Ethanol-based fuel blend) is that it will destroy the rubber
> bits in the DeLorean's fuel system.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: