From:Jake Kamphoefner
Subject: [DML] New Battery: WAS Car's use of electricty / alternator &
battery question

All this talk about the DeLorean electricity made me want to post about my
recent battery change.  While I didn't really have a problem with my
existing battery, I did notice accessories were working slightly harder on
the car, and perhaps it didn't crank quite as quickly.  Not remembering when
the battery was last changed, I looked in my records to find that it was
SEVEN years ago!  I decided it had served its purpose, and retired it.

Other than the obvious benefits (like quicker cranking, slightly brighter
lights, etc.), I did pick up one more "fix" from the swap: my tachometer had
been acting a little wacky lately when lots of accessories were on, and
would often flutter about 1000 RPMs above the actual engine RPM.  Knowing
that my ground connections were already clean, this was the only other
indication I had to suggest a weak battery.  I'm happy to report that the
new battery solved the wacky tach instantly.  I post this message not
because anything here is earth-shattering news, but rather as a reminder
that a weak electrical system, including the battery, can cause all kinds of
weird problems.

So how did I get a battery to last for seven years, and it still work?  It
was a Die Hard Gold, in case anyone is wondering.  -But I don't think it had
anything to do with the brand name.  I attribute it to daily use (even in
the winter months), a clean location (in the passenger compartment), and an
automatic battery cutoff switch ( called the "Battery Buddy" ).  That kept
the battery from ever completely draining and certainly prolonged its life.

Jake Kamphoefner
1063 --> now sporting a pretty, green Interstate battery

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)