[DML] Re: Stupid question for brilliant people-Auto Tranny Blues

[DML] Re: Stupid question for brilliant people-Auto Tranny Blues

Hi Shane,

Five years is an awfully long time tolerating trouble with the auto
tranny.
I am rather new to the D but not to automatic transmissions.
The filling problem: yes, that can be troublesome, the marksare clear
but the fluid does not level easily. There is a simple rule provided
for all cars with auto trannies: warm up the engine, shift through
the gears and check with running engine. Have to add fluid? Wait a
while to allow the fluid to warm up, shift through the gears again
and thereafter, check anew. Do so until you have reached the proper
level.
The shifting problem: That puzzles me too. Usually when the computer
is down (defective) you only have 2 or 3 or only 3. Regardless what
the problems are: first check the governor computer to be working
properly, if necessary replace ALL suspicious parts (power
transistors and their resistors at least, replacing the BC237s would
not hurt either, check all printed circuit lines and aisles for
breaks. I also advise to dig into the connector to the generator of
the governor as - in my case - it turned out a connection deepy
buried under the RTV seal was broken loose.
Did you check the solenoids/governor signals to be correct for the
gear it should be in at a certain point (check lights or LEDs will
help out there; mine are 3 mm LEDs hidden in the dashboard constantly
monitoing the shifting).
Did you use the dignostic charts in the manual at G:04:03-04( chart 1
states electrical and hydraulic problems missing 3rd (wiring etc.,
governor, solenoid valves, valve body) and mechanical problems for
reverse (clutch c1) and for combined missing 3rd and no engine
braking in reverse (brake b1).
I agree that replacing the tranny itself may solve your problems in
one blow, but also empties your wallet while blowing. And the
governor is still the one you now have, so....
I hope this may help you on your way to a better driving D.

Welmoed.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ltshaneclarke" <ltshaneclarke@...>
wrote:

> Well, as many of you know I've been fighting with my auto tranny
for
> over 5 years now.  I have lost 3rd gear right out the gate and now
> reverse is gone.  So, I am going to attempt to have it flushed and
> serviced one more time.  But, I think  it's time to do a
new/rebuilt
> tranny.  Along with that, every time I drain and refill the system
Ican
> barely tell where the fill mark is.  I follow the service manual
that
> says fill with 2 liters and wait until vehicle reaches operating
> temperature then add fluid to the fill line.  Every time it jumps
from
> bottom to high.  I also run it through the gears a few times and
that
> seems to bring the level down until I fill it again, then boom it's
> over the line.  Any help for this idiot would be greatly
appreciated on
> how much you have had to put in your tranny.  Also, any help on
getting
> a new/rebuilt tranny and governor and all the fun gaskets to have
the
> job done would be greatly appreciated.  I know that last year some
> people had some for sale.  Thanks again for the world class help
this
> group offers to morons like me!
>
> Shane Clarke
> CAPT, USAF