Re: [DML] Re: DeLorean gets a Wankel Engine

Re: [DML] Re: DeLorean gets a Wankel Engine

*sigh* that old chestnut :-)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the DeLorean transmission is known
for breaking input shafts only where an aftermaket Chevvy bellhousing
has been used? The problem is the alignment on these bellhousings NOT
the transmission.

I know a guy who is pretty much THE expert on the PRV and Renault UN1
tranny (basically the same as the 369), and who originally funded the
development work on the Quaife LSD for the UN1 as well as 500+hp 200mph
gearsets (60 sets so far with no failures). His opinion on the standard
transmission is 5th gear is by far the weakest link, then the driveshaft
outputs, THEN the input shaft coupler, then the crownwheel and pinion.
In that order. 300ft-lbs is the upper limit for a stock transmission,
and I'd be surprised if Jim's rotary got near that.

I installed the ECU on the UK's most powerful GTA and at 360ft-lbs, the
owner has been warned to go easy on the transmission! (chargecooled 3
litre turbo PRV)

Today I was busy reinstalling this rear subframe in a GTA Turbo. 220,000
miles at 200hp and the transmission came back from rebuild with a
totally clean bill of health.

http://www.delorean.co.uk/subframe.jpg

Martin
www.delorean.co.uk

twinenginedmc12 wrote:

> Everybody rags on the Delorean transmission, but I bet if you replace
> that pesky input shaft, and stop trying to drive it with an odd-fire
> engine (boo!), it would pass a little more torque without breaking.
>
> Rick.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: