[DML] Re: DeLorean gets a Wankel Engine

Hello.

I've seen the car, and ridden around in it. It was very fast.  I
didn't appreciate at the time just how much faster it was, because I
had never been in a stock Delorean.

If memory serves, the frame was cut in three places.  An inch or two
was cut off the rear horizontal bumper part.  The "v" of the frame had
a notch of about 3" in each leg.  The pontoon had some minor surgery
to hold the intercooler.  These cuts allowed the transmission to fit.

The binnacle was replaced to accomodate the electronics of the rotary
engine's original car.  It wasn't just "any" rotary engine, it was a 3
rotor with a sequenced dual turbocharger.

It seemed the transmission was a very tight fit.  Could've been worse,
heheh.

Everybody rags on the Delorean transmission, but I bet if you replace
that pesky input shaft, and stop trying to drive it with an odd-fire
engine (boo!), it would pass a little more torque without breaking.

Rick.

11472, 7-20 mpg, depending on the noise.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright@...> wrote:

> On 5/20/07, rodney rael <rodrael1@...> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know who owns this car now?   I understand it was sold
for some
> >  $35 grand some 3 years ago...   I talked to the guy that
originally built
> >  the car.  Jim I think his name is.
>
> I looked at this car when it was for sale. Not in person - too far -
> but I gave it consideration. $35k was more than I was willing to pay.
>
> My understanding is it did sell - for less than half the asking price.
> When I heard that, I kicked myself for not making a ridiculously low
> offer and snatching it up.
>
> All I want to know is, how'd they get the Porsche 6 speed in, and
> specifically which transmission did they use? If I keep my DeLorean
> the engine has got to go and I'd like to ditch the tranny, too, but I
> don't want to cut the car up to do it.
>
> -Ryan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional