[DML] Fan Speed Overload - Technical Correction

[DML] Fan Speed Overload - Technical Correction

Sometimes I read something that comes to the right conclusion but is just  is
not correct technically and this is one of those times, so in the interest of
 correctness ...

If the resistance of a circuit INCREASES then the current in that circuit
will actually DECREASE.  Current = Voltage divided by Resistance.   (This is the
famous Ohm's Law)

So while the below mentioned circuit breaker may likely be the problem, and
perhaps it is the connections at the circuit breaker that are building up too
much resistance,  it would NOT cause too the circuit to draw more  current.
It actually would be less!

However, that being said... the increased resistance of the poor connection
would cause more power to be lost at the connection, Power = Current²
(squared) times Resistance.  Since this lost power will turn into  heat, it certainly
could cause the circuit break to open the circuit.

Since the resistance of the connections is just a small fraction of the
total resistance of the circuit, even if the contact resistance doubled the
current would not drop much but the power lost (heat developed)  would rise  by
about 4 times  (doubled ie 2 squared = 4).

Any comments on my math?

Of course if the blower motor was going bad and ITS resistance was  too LOW
(ie its windings partly shorting out) then that Would cause too  much current
to flow in the circuit which could also open the circuit  breaker....

Check the connections and make sure you have the upgraded ?40 AMP  breaker.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program....

Dave Delman

D² & 06530 + 2700 ohms

Craig,

I have the same issue with my DeLorean although  my blower motor usually cuts
out on a hot day in traffic after about 10  minutes.  There is a circuit
breaker for the blower motor.  I would  guess that perhaps your blower motor is
pulling too much current.  Have  you checked your connections to make sure they
are clean so you aren't  building up too much resistance, and thus drawing
more  current?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: