Re: [DML] Re: Fixing Eyebrows

Hi Group,

Well last night/today I did the fix.  Here is what I did:

Went to Lowe's and picked up a long flat bar of steel (about a yard  long).
It's 1" wide and about 1/8" thick.  Then went to Advance Auto  and bought
Permatex windshield adhesive.  I cut the bar down into two 10"  strips with a
dremel and smoothed the edges out.  I removed the headlamps  and test fit the
bars.  I put them as far towards the inside (toward the  DMC emblem) as possible.
There is a point where they won't go any further  because the folded-over lip
ends.  Once I knew how I was going to position  them, I used a hair dryer to
warm up the fascia.  I had an assistant (let's  hear it for girlfriends!) hold
the hair dryer (she is experienced in that part)  while I applied glue to the
bar and carefully inserted them into the  fascia.  Then I used a few c-clamps
to hold the top of the fascia to the  bars.  I of course used shop towels to
avoid damaging the paint.  I  also used some old nuts between the clamps and
bars to pin-point exactly where I  wanted the clamping force to be applied.

About 20 hours later I took the clamps off and found my fascia to be much
better than before!  It is still not perfect, which I expect is due to
shrinkage, but the eyebrows are nearly invisible, and no one would ever know how  bad
they were before I did the fix.

I don't know how lasting this repair will be, but if it stays like this for
a couple years, it was well worth the effort!

Thanks for the help -
Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596