[DML] Cracked rear hub carrier / bent TAB

[DML] Cracked rear hub carrier / bent TAB

Hello Gang - I just wanted to check in on a DeLorean that came into our
shop with a reported loose rear wheel bearing.  On further inspection,
the bearing was loose because the right hand hub carrier casting had
developed a 2 1/2 inch long fatigue crack that nearly separated the
casting into two pieces.  The bearing nearly fell out as we began to
remove it.  On the same side of this car, the trailing arm bolt (TAB)
was so severly bent that we had to use a press to remove it from the
bushing.  This message is intended to remind people to get back to the
basics of looking at the various important bits of the car on a regular
basis.  The issues with this car were potential safety concerns, and
should not have progressed as far as they had.  I have posted a picture
of the bent TAB from this particular car in our folder (DMC Northwest)
in the Photos section as a reminder of what this problem looks like.
We are seeing many cars with "deferred maintenance", which means that
the fleet has been drifting away from the basic routine maintenance
that will help prolong these cars indefinitely.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DMC Northwest
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC

<*> Your email settings: