[DML] Re: Engine stumbling

I Concur. Something is not right inside the fuel tank. Maybe a split
in the pick-up hose, maybe it came loose, maybe the stud holding the
baffle came off. In any case you will have to drain the fuel tank,
wipe it out (with acetone if it's dirty) remove all of the internals,
inspect and replace anything that is not OK. If the pick-up hose is
soft it *could* be collapsing under the vacuum. You might be able to
use it with a spring inside. You have to be very careful when
reinstalling the fuel pump so you do not turn the fuel pump as you
place it (with the inner boot) back into the fuel tank. If you DO turn
the pump you can create a kink in the hose which when the fuel heats
up and softens the hose, can cause it to kink completely stopping the
flow of fuel. New stock hoses are stiffer but expensive. A spring
inside can help to keep and older one from kinking.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Substelny <drivestainless@...> wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> Your description sounds exactly like your fuel inlet
> has broken loose from the bottom of your tank.  I bet
> it is wandering around down there and your fuel intake
> is random.  If I am right your DeLorean will run
> smooth as silk whenever the tank is completely full,
> but the lower your fuel level gets the more random
> stumbling you will see.
>
> - Mike Substelny
>   VIN 01280, 14 years

<*> Your email settings: