Re: [DML] Gas tank

Tom,

My D's tank was filled two years ago (but no STA-BIL added), and due
to circumstances beyond my control has not been started since.  I'm
going to pull the fuel pump etc. and drain/clean the tank.  I would
very much appreciate seeing your procedure on flushing the fuel
lines/system.  Does your procedure also flush old fuel from the the
fuel distributor?

Thanks Much!

CTDMC83

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Tait" <TTait@...> wrote:

> Jon:
>

> Oh yeah, absolutely. You never want to pull out the tank unless you
> really, really have to. The pump comes pretty much straight out,
you
> will need to disconnect the fuel pickup line, and then there is a
single
> nut holding down the baffle assembly.  The baffle assembly flexes
and
> crushes partially flat to pull out, but its no big deal.
>

> If you have all that stuff out its worth really cleaning out your
tank -
> and that can be a mess if there is sludge - but its really worth
doing.
> Get all the gas out (you can use a cheap $12 fuel pump and some
hoses to
> get the last of the fuel out.)  Then go at it with carburetor
cleaner
> and clean rags/paper towels.  You're not done until you have
jammed your
> arm through the access hole and gotten every possible inch of the
sides,
> top and bottom and your rags are coming out pristine.  At this
point the
> tank is virtually good as new in most cases, and all this was much
> easier than pulling it out.
>

> Make sure to replace the fuel pickup line and the pickup screen at
> minimum. The upper and lower fuel pump rubber boots should
probably be
> replaced, and the rubber seal at the top of the fuel level sending
unit.

> SpecialTauto.com has an alternate baffle kit to consider when you
are
> putting it all back together - it has pros and cons but I'm happy
with
> it.
>

> Replace your fuel filter back on the way to the engine too.
>

> I figured out a procedure for flushing  tar and sludge out of
most of
> the fuel lines/system too if anyone needs that give a holler.
>

> Happy Motoring.
>

> Tom
>
> 10902
>

> ________________________________

Behalf
> Of Jon
> Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 1:32 PM
> To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [DML] Gas tank
>

> Is it possible to get the fuel pump/pickup assembly
> out of the tank while the tank is still mounted in the
> car? The whole pickup mechanism looks as if it needs
> to be drawn out at an angle, and I'm not sure if this
> can be done with the tank is in the car. Thanks.
>
> Jon

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: