Re: [DML] Possibly dropped copper washer from fuel line into engine cyli

Re: [DML] Possibly dropped copper washer from fuel line into engine cylinder

[MODERATOR NOTE:  While there is some value to sharing similar stories involving other vehicles, I think we've reached the limit with debris in the cylinders of late 60s Mustangs.  A lengthy conversation on that topic belongs on a different mailing list.  - Mike Substelny, DML modertator of the week]

It funny you mention that Dave.  I had a '67 Mustang with a 289 with a
similar story.

When driving down the highway one day, I heard this sudden VERY LOUD
BANGING, tons and tons of smoke, engine stalled, coasted to a stop on the
shoulder. (Luckily it was a nice sunny day).

In my case, it wasn't a spark plug electrode that fell into the cylinder...
it was one of the valves. It destroyed the piston (I still have it, maybe
I'll bring it to the next event), which then blew a hole the size of your
fist in the side of the wall.

Needles to say, the engine was toast.  And I had just bought the car two
months earlier when I graduated high school.  It did have a little valve tap
when I bought it and everyone said "eh, it's got 110,000 miles -- it's
probably fine".   I saved up and put in a 302 to replace it six months
later.

-Hank

On 4/29/07, doctorDHD@xxxxxxx <doctorDHD@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I once heard a loud DINK when driving fast in my '66 Mustang,  then  when
> slowed down the engine had a terrible miss.  Back home I discovered  that
> one
> of the spark plugs had lost its side electrode into the engine.   Never
> had a
> problem and that material is pretty hard.
>
> Dave Delman
> 6530 & 2700 ohms
>
> 1f. Re:  Possibly dropped copper washer from fuel line into engine cylind
> Posted by: "Peter Lucas" lucas@xxxxxxxx lucasxyzzy
> Date: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:16 pm ((PDT))
>
> While we are on this topic, what  are people's opinions about the
> danger of ceramic material from a  broken spark plug falling into the
> cylinder? I once took great pains  to vacuum out a bit of this stuff.
> Did I save my engine, or  would it have instantly been pulverized to
> atoms with no ill  effect?
>
> I figured, better safe than sorry, but OTOH I imagine that  spark
> plugs fail in this way all the time in running engines.   Anybody know?
>

> --Pete Lucas
> VIN #06703

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional