RE: [DML] Re: Oil Filters, again!

The Purflux filter we have been using on the DeLorean
(best I can tell) has no anti-drainback, and no bypass
valve.  It is a straight hydraulic filter.

At one time, the rumor was that the filters that had
the anti-drain caused a restriction in the flow that
could damage the engine.  Considering there is no
bypass, It is not that unbelievable.

However, My personal opinion is the Anti-Drainback and
Bypass is something we should have on the oil filters.
 Maybe Renault shipped the engines to DMC with those
filters simply because they were the cheapest thing
they could throw on there at the time??  Now of
course, they will be a premium for Concours
participants.

I realize John has said he has a Bosh filter that is
shorter and will fit my Turbo application, but I am
concerned that the combination of a shorter and
smaller diameter filter will be too small for enough
oil to flow...  and may keep the bypass open all of
the time.

When I have some more time, I may try one of those
smaller oil pressure sender units John spoke about.
it is broken anyway. so, that may solve 2 problems at
once.

--- Joe Dalton <joe.dalton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi John,
>

> I am not a technician so what I know about oil
> filters
> has been derived from more technically people and
> written information.
>

> An important item is that oil filters should have
> anti
> drain back, so when starting cold there will be oil
> in
> the engine more quickly.

Be a PS3 game guru.

<*> Your email settings: