[DML] Re: Aligning Latch Pins

I noticed in one of the links mentioned below that a preliminary test
for a proper torsion bar adjusmnet is to allow the door to gently
close without a strut installed. If the torsion bar keeps the door
between 2 to 6 inches from the sill with no strut installed it's
about right. My doors drop all the way to the sill with no lifting
tension what so ever from the torsion bars when no strut is
installed. When I installed new struts from one of the vendors the
doors rocketed up too hard. I tried struts from another vendor with
the same result. I haven't had to change the T bar adjustment for new
struts in years so I'm wondering if the current crop of struts have
more pressure than those of past years or if the above test might not
be a very accurate indication of the torsion bar adjustment setting.
Has anyone else experianced something similar with the current crop
of struts being offered?

Bruce Benson

> In addition to what David T. wrote here, there are a few more
> things to consider when your doors are in need of adjustment.
>
> It is always good to ask WHY they need adjustment BEFORE you
> adjust them, since there may be a few different root causes.
>
> As our DeLoreans age, there is a good chance the metal roof
> section can detach from the fiberglass underbody, which can
> effect the position of the door opening and while at rest.
> Always check into possible causes before you attempt to fix.
>
> Below are links to related fixes, including the T-panel fix:
> (NOTE: David T. wrote one of these processes below as well)
>
> http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/dooradjust1.html
>
> http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/tbar.htm
>
> http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/torsionbar.html
>
> As mentioned often, its always good to have another person
> familiar with torsion bar work assist you with your doors.
>
> Later,
> Rich W.
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@>
> wrote:
> >
> > To answer you question about aligning the striker pins, aka, latch
> > pins, it is not easy.
> >
> >snip<

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional