Re: [DML] "The Sacrilege of the PRV " or "To Swap or Not to Swap (the E

Re: [DML] "The Sacrilege of the PRV " or "To Swap or Not to Swap (the Engine)"

In my opinion, I like to keep #10715 as stock as practicality
dictates, while maintaining normal, but prudent updates.
(i.e.-electrical system revamps, maybe buy a better alternator soon,
update the relays etc.) The PRV isn't the *greatest* engine per se,
but it's not that bad, IMHO. There's always room for improvement
though. If I was going to go juice her up, so to speak, I'd most
likely try out the standard Stage I upgrade at the very least. Maybe
mod the air intake box, get a better coil and resistor or something.
I've already picked up a box of those nice high-amp plug wires. I'm no
mechanic, but I'd love to eventually get even a small turbo on my D
someday. That would probably take some time and effort on the cams and
pistons, I'm sure, as that's all stock on my car.

DeLoreans are like Voltron- the more cool parts you hook up, the
better it gets. :)

If it were at all physically possible, I'd probably swap a V-12
Countach engine out. But that ain't gonna happen so I'll stick with
some sort of realistic goal lol

-John
#10715

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Tait" <TTait@...> wrote:

> Think about JZD - his big move at GM was specifically putting a kick ass
> engine into a car that didn't have one before.  After that it was about
> style, lifestyle and fun.
>

> Many cars do have their engine for a heart, but I wouldn't call the
> Delorean one of them.  At the time the PRV was the right fit from a
> pricing, marketing, and engineering point of view.  John knew the car
> deserved more power, and talked with Legend about fixing that.  Why
> turbocharge that engine instead of putting in a better one?   Because
> there ware a lot of constraints on the fledgling car and company and
> that was the best solution for the time, but not necessarily the
> ultimate solution.
>

> For a concurs car, its obviously a deal killer.  For a novice who would
> lose a lot of technical support from the community if he did a swap -
> equally a bad idea.  But to ask if the soul of a Delorean suffers if you
> replace the PRV strikes me as an ironic question, if you think about who
> DeLorean was.
>

> Just my opinion and I totally respect those who would disagree.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)