From: Rob Greenhaw <wylldshark@xxxxxxxxx>
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 2:14:23 PM
Subject: [DML] "The Sacrilege of the PRV " or "To Swap or Not to Swap (the Engine)"

A buddy who owns a D was mentioned having no love for the PRV. I can totally understand where he is coming from but the statement got me to wonder about swapping engines and keeping the car's "essence" intact. This is an issue I've debated for a long time, but now is the time to bring it to the DML and ask opinions.

The thing I've always wondered is this: if you swap the engine out, is it still a DeLorean?

We've known about the various engine swaps folks have done to their cars to juice out more power and make the DeLorean what it was meant to be.

Sure, the name is there and the body is the same, but I've always seen the engine as a car's "heart", so to speak. If you take that out and put say, a Chevy 350, is the car not a Chevy with a DeLorean body?

That's the sort of reckoning I've always had. Sure, the PRV is weak as hell and was not meant for performance, but there are race versions out there that produce 650hp!

I would rather extensively modify a DeLorean engine than replace it with something else unless it was something related to the DeLorean like the Alpine set up or maybe even the Esprit. But even with the Esprit engine it would be an American Lotus. The Apine I could handle, since it is the same engine block.

Anyway, you get my drift. Feel free to comment on it and maybe help me overcome that sort of "sacrilege" of replacing the DeLorean's powerplant since this is the only car I feel that way about.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)