Re: [DML] Re: selling a D overseas

On 1/24/07, tuxr <tuxdarby@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>  A wire transfer can be pulled back by the bank.  Just like your
>  direct deposit paycheck, or anything that goes electronically into
>  your account, if there was a problem, it can be pulled back.  If you
>  happen to grab the money out before that happens, then great.  But
>  can happen.  And you never know what the laws are in the country
>  sending the wire, they might be even more lenient than here.

The real key is to do everything slowly. There's nothing wrong with a
check of any sort, so long as you hold the car until the funds clear.
Same thing for a wire transfer, or a money order, or any other payment
service. Just don't get caught up in any sort of "I need this right
away" deal. If you're buying a $30,000 automobile, you can wait an
extra week for the funds to clear. If not, I'll sell it to someone
else.

Don't ever be so desperate to sell something you ignore common sense.
Take your time, talk to your bank, and don't release the product until
the bank says the funding has cleared. On a transaction of this dollar
amount, I'd almost consider waiting until the funds were not only in
my account, but I had received a copy of the processed check. This way
you don't run into any "inept teller" problems ("Oh, yeah, that check
has cleared." - a week later - "Oops, I was wrong!" or "We never told
you that.").

-Ryan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional