Re: [DML] Re: Terrible AM reception...

Thank you for all of the responses. I'll reply to everyone in one response:

Kermit:

> That is the nature of AM broadcasting, and one reason why only a limited
> number of AM stations are licensed to be on after dark, or lower their power
> output considerably.

Except, the problem only started a couple of months ago. Before that,
it was fine. Unless they all just decided to start dropping their
output much further than usual? I could blame daylight savings time
(it's now dark when I drive home) but I didn't have this problem last
year.

Last night, I tried the radio with the engine off. It worked just
fine. As soon as I started the car, everything went to hell. But then,
in the morning it's fine. Perhaps I have some ignition interference
that is overpowered by a strong AM signal during the day?

Jake:

> If you have recently performed a tuneup, you might be as good as you can get
> in terms of shielding

I did just perform a major tune-up. I'm now running John Hervey's
8.5mm silicon wires, new plugs, cap/rotor, new 60k volt coil, etc.
None of this made any difference in the radio reception, though. The
problems started before the tune-up and didn't improve (or worsen)
afterward.

> I think the only answer is a good antenna, and a better radio.

It shouldn't be the radio; I have a $400 Eclipse head unit. The
antenna is new, same manufacturer/model of antenna I had last year
when the problem wasn't occurring.

Marc:

> Are you running resistor plugs? How old are the wires?

What are resistor plugs? Wires were 2 years old when the problem
started. They've since been replaced with John Hervey's 8.5mm silicon
wires. No change in the problem, though.

> Because you say it only happens on AM, the noise is
> most likely from the ignition system, not the charging
> system.

Sounds likely. Videobob recommended I look into a "ground loop
isolator", so I'll check into that.

David:

> I would check the antennae where it connects to the body. The antennae
> body MUST be grounded well or it will not work properly. You could
> also have a bad connection on the lead-in wire.

Thanks for the info. I will get in there and double-check all of this.

> The radio you have is also a very old kind of
> radio, the newer ones are much better at getting weak signals.

The radio is not stock; First thing I did when I bought the car was
put in a higher end Eclipse head unit.

OK, so I'm going to check the antenna grounds & connections; if that
doesn't help, I'll try this "ground loop isolator" deal.

-Ryan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: