[DML] Re: "Fastest" DeLoreans (WAS: Don Steger's cams)

[DML] Re: "Fastest" DeLoreans (WAS: Don Steger's cams)

Dan, in the "old days" before the 70's that was true and was the old
standard of gross horsepower ratings.  However starting in the 70's
the standard switched to net horsepower ratings, which means the
engine is dressed as it would be in the car - A/C, power steering
pump, full exhaust, etc. - and the engine is rated with all
accessories running.  It is a far more realistic # than the old
gross ratings.

Sandor
# 3002

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Daniel Shane <daniel.shane@...>
wrote:

> Don't forget that most Horsepower readings are taken with no
ancillaries
> attacked to the engine.  The engine is normally run without the
water pump,
> alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump etc attached.
>
> External water pumps are used to cool the engine so this
artificially
> increases the power reading as well.
>
> Dan
>

> On 29/12/06 16:35, "Soma576@..." <Soma576@...> wrote:
>
> > I find this discussion interesting, and I would have to agree
with Sandor.
> > While the hp 'at the wheels' is a more meaningful number and
takes into
> > account a wide variety of other drivetrain variables, it is only
useful when
> > comparing to other cars 'at the wheels'.  Unfortunately, 99 out
of 100 people
> > will tell you what their engine produces at the flywheel (as the
owner's
> > manual states), so the flywheel horsepower should remain the
standard rating
> > (as it is with other manufacturers).   Hp 'at the wheels' should
only be
> > provided along with the flywheel horsepower, in my opinion.
> >
> > Andy

improvements
> > for racing cars).  Why should DMCH be any different than other
> > manufacturers?
> >
> > There is enough Delorean confusion among the general public as it
> > is, measuring HP at the wheel would only seem to add to that.
Not
> > to mention the fact that it is a lower number than when measured
at
> > the flywheel and becomes an apples-to-oranges issue when
comparing
> > to other vehicles.
> >

> > Sandor
> > # 3002