[DML] How to measure HP (WAS: "Fastest" DeLoreans)

[DML] How to measure HP (WAS: "Fastest" DeLoreans)

For folks like us who modify our own cars, it is much
less complicated to dyno the car than just the engine.

As long as we all know what we are talking about, it
is still a good means of comparison.

For example, we know that a stock DeLorean does about
95WHP, a Stage II from DMCH (I am told) does about
130WHP.  My Nissan VQ35 DeLorean does 210WHP.

Knowing all of the measurements were taken the same
way (ignoring calibration errors on the equipment),
anyone reading this data can make meaningful
comparisons between the different setups.

My question-

If you are saying we should all speak in terms of
engine horsepower, what loss factor should we
calculate for the drive train?  I have heard some
people claim it is a percentage, and others say it is
a constant for any given vehicle (with the same drive
train).

If we do a comparison of the stock number to DMCH
Stage II:

130 HP becomes 95 WHP.  That is a loss of 35 HP, or
26%

197 HP becomes 130 WHP.  That is a loss of 67 HP, or a
35% loss.

Neither the "constant loss" or the "percentage loss"
numbers match!

So, back to the point..  My VQ35 is 210 WHP.  When
someone walks up to me at a show and asks me "How much
power is it?"  what is the correct answer?

210 + 35  = 245HP ?
210 + 26% = 265HP ?
210 + 67  = 277HP ?
210 + 35% = 283HP ?

I feel more honest just saying "It dyno'd 210 at the
wheels".  The downside is, someone that does not
understand the difference between "at the wheels" and
how most other people talk about power, the car sounds
like a slug (compared to other modern vehicles).

Yes Andy, this is an interesting discussion!  :)

Marc

(6049 is still FOR SALE, as is a complete Island Twin
Turbo Engine)

--- Soma576@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I find this discussion interesting, and I would have
> to agree with Sandor.  While the hp 'at the wheels'
> is a more meaningful number and takes into account a
> wide variety of other drivetrain variables, it is
> only useful when comparing to other cars 'at the
> wheels'.  Unfortunately, 99 out of 100 people will
> tell you what their engine produces at the flywheel
> (as the owner's manual states), so the flywheel
> horsepower should remain the standard rating (as it
> is with other manufacturers).   Hp 'at the wheels'
> should only be provided along with the flywheel
> horsepower, in my opinion.
>
> Andy

http://mail.yahoo.com

<*> Your email settings: