Re: [DML] Who Killed The Electric Car?

I think the practicality of the electric car is based on its geographic use.
In parts of California for instance, where it is nice and flat with a
neutral climate
all the time where you can cruise without a heater or A/C, making short
trips
of under 60 miles then it seems like a good solution.
Here in Texas there is rarely a perfect day, you are either heating or
cooling.
(or maybe I am just spoiled!)
- VB

>From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [DML] Who Killed The Electric Car?
>Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 02:43:36 -0800
>
>On 12/20/06, Videobob Moseley <videobob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >  The one thing that always seems to be an unaswered question to me
>concerning
> >  these
> >  electric cars is, how does the air conditioning and heating work?
> >  (or does it?)
> >  - Videobob
>
>Bob -
>
>Depends on what you want to spend and how "right" you want to do your
>conversion. Heating is commonly done with a basic heating elements.
>Eats a fair bit of your battery power to run the heaters, as you'd
>imagine, but a good electric car conversion can still have enough
>power to keep you nice and toasty in the winter. Nice thing about the
>electric heat is it comes on instantly.
>
>Air conditioning works the same as it does in any other car, except
>instead of a belt off the crankshaft, you drive the compressor with a
>separate electric motor. Again, eats into your range pretty good, but
>again, a conversion done right can use the A/C and keep nice and cool
>and still get you where you want to go (if where you want to go is
>reasonable). :)
>
>I looked pretty seriously into doing an electric Fiero once. Sheer
>cost and magnitude of the project changed my mind pretty quick.
>~$10k+, plus the car, plus countless hours for a sub-50 mile range
>little commuter toy just wasn't going to do it for me.
>
>-Ryan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: