Re: [DML] "Fastest" DeLoreans

--- Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Eh? What has Don done to that Buick 3.8, if
> anything?

Not sure of the details.  I did see the car when I
went to his shop years ago.  Back then, it was in
pieces so there is no way it was "fast".  :)  I don't
know if it is back on the road yet.

It looked to be a Grand National 3.8L engine,
modified.

> I'm "fairly" familiar with the Buick 3800 engines.
> My last Fiero had a
> '90 3800SC (supercharged). That year 3800SC only put
> out ~220hp. The
> Series II SC, which is also a very popular swap
> amongst Fiero folk,
> runs ~270-280hp. Still not up there with your Nissan

the 3800SC is the same engine they used in the GTP?  I
think the 3.8L Grand National engine can do more than
the GTP.  However, when it comes to those cars I am
just a casual observer.

> - aren't you
> pushing close to 300hp N.A.?

That was the plan...  Once I put the 350Z intake on it
(sitting in the garage, I have been lazy) it should be
close to 300HP (at the flywheel).  However, the dyno
numbers were 210 WHP.  If we calculate the expected
losses in the drive, that puts us at 260-270 HP at the
flywheel (estimated).

> So, unless Don has tricked the 3.8 out in some
> manner, I think you'd
> take him. Nice thing about your engine is you can
> still slap on a
> blower or some turbos and kick the horsepower up
> even further, whereas
> the 3.8 is already using forced induction just to
> get close to where
> you run without.

I agree..  There have been some 350Z's out there
getting 600 WHP!   However, whenever I take the car
out, I am happy with the power it has now.  Although I
am tempted to do more to it, I consider how safe the
car would be.  Keep in mind, my goal was to have a
street car, not a track car.

As far as rating goes, I think I'd rate my car in the
top 5 DeLoreans in the speed to dollar ratio.  The
cost to take it to the next level would blow that
ratio!

> This is why I'm hesitant to swap a 3.8 into mine.
> When I'm kicking ass
> and taking names, I want to make sure your name is
> on the list, ;-) ,
> and I don't think the 3.8 will cut it.

Although I admit it is a good feeling to "beat" other
cars in a race, the truth is that there is always
someone faster out there.  It is not a competition for
me, as long as I enjoy my car I am happy.

> A Northstar V8 is still looking like my best bet.
> Though I'd love the
> 3.8 if someone knows how to pull another ~100hp out
> of it without
> investing a fortune.

With a Northstar V8, you have no room for any forced
induction.  Before selecting this engine, you should
consider power VS weight and space.  I thought about
the Northstar, and have no regrets on my choice of the
VQ35.

If your goal is to beat me, put a VQ35 in your DMC
with forced induction!  Of course, all it will prove
is you have more money to spend on the car than I do.
:)

> The PRV is a lame engine. Sorry to say it, but it's
> true. I'm sure
> it's great for longevity and reliability, but I
> personally would never
> bother trying to extract significantly more power
> out of it. I know
> Martin has done some sweet things with it, but over
> here, I'm looking
> more for raw American muscle. I'm sick and tired of
> telling people how
> pitifully slow this car is, because everyone asks
> and everyone expects
> it should run a sub-12 second quarter mile and hit
> 180 in the top end
> and I'm always the one to crush their fantasies.
> Believe me, I wish it
> were true. I'd like to make (some of) it true one
> day.

PRV is a fine engine, it is more a matter of what we
have available to us.  You can build a PRV that will
blow away the 3800, VQ35, or even a northstar..  But
it will cost you a lot more money!

I think I spent less on my VQ35 conversion than it
would have cost me to send the car to DMCH for their
stage II.  However, I do not factor my labor in to
that.  400+ hours of labor to install the VQ35 and
Porsche trans.  I could have installed a Stage II (Or
Don's cam's) in a fraction of that time.  PRV
Modifications has it's place.  However, one size does
not fit all.

> A guy on the Fiero list was posting scanned in track
> slips with 9.x
> second quarter mile times a number of years back.
> Something about a
> twin turbo V8. Now THAT is what a tricked out
> DeLorean ought to do:
> Eat Vipers for lunch.

Sure, maybe a STOCK Viper.  There will always be
someone faster.

http://mail.yahoo.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional