[DML] Re: When it rains it poors - "Automatic Transmission Blues"

[DML] Re: When it rains it poors - "Automatic Transmission Blues"

In fact the automatic transmission DOES have clutches. They are wet
type and they are called clutch packs. They are actuated hydraulicly.
When they wear you see clutch materiel collected in the pan and the
filter. Very rare you will ever see rubber or plastic in the pan.
Metal is more common but it should only be brass, not aluminum or
steel(only very small amounts). A bad shift computer will affect the
shifting, not cause slippage. A defective shift computer will cause
the clutch packs to wear excessively which WILL cause slippage. It is
possible to switch from auto to manual or vice versa. The frame can be
modified, it doesn't have to be replaced. It is very likely he has a
defective shift computer which is causing the transmission to wear
fast. No 1st gear (caused by the shift computer) would easily do this
damage. Simple to test for. Unfortunetly once you wipe out the clutch
packs (C1 usually goes first because it is the smallest) there is no
option but rebuilding or replacement of the transmission. Any time an
automatic transmission needs work the shift computer MUST me suspected
as the primary cause. Otherwise you will damage the replacement
transmission.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Steve" <p2freak@...> wrote:

> I maybe wrong about this but,
>
> 1.  Automatic transmission does not have a clutch if my
understanding is correct.  You
> mentioned clutch material, is it rubber or metal?  Could it be that
your transmission
> governor is kaput?  If it's the governor, then it's a $450 fix.
>
> 2.  To convert to manual transmission, you would need a different
chassis/frame.  Auto
> and manual frames are different.
>
> v/r

<*> Your email settings: