[DML] Re: Rear End loose/rattle sound

It seems to be drivers side, rear but I will check the steering
column bushing. I replaced it about 5 years ago, not sure what the
life span is.

The sound does not change when turning.  It drives quietly until you
hit a road bump and then it happens.  No difference in braking or
acceleration.  I've done the "hit the gas and back off quick" to see
if it's torque related. It's an up and down thing rather than a
lateral motion.   Since the suspension is new last fall I can't
imagine it being the new shocks, eh?

If a T/A bolt failure is about to happen, is this a symptom of it,
or does it just happen?   I'll try to check out the other items.  It
will be hard not being able to lift it.  I suppose I better get it
over to a shop and on lift, I'm just concerned about the 5 mile trip
over.

Thanks

Tom

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...>
wrote:

> It helps if you can narrow down the area the sound seems to come
from.
> Even if you can only narrow it down to front or back, left side or
> right. It helps to narrow down the search. Some of the more common
> things to look for:
> Loose, bent, broken T/A bolts
> Worn steering column bushing
> Worn/missing sway bar bushings
> Worn ball joint
> Worn tie rod end
> Worn or missing rubber bushings on a shock.
> Loose lug nuts
>
> Some questions, does it change when turning, accelerating, braking?
> Does it sound like metal-on-metal? You are really going to have to
> lift the car to start looking. One of the big disadvantages of
> lowering the car is the difficulty in lifting it. If you had a
broken
> T/A bolt you would know it!!!!! My first guess would be the
steering
> column bushing. Is the noise right under the dash by your feet?
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional