[DML] Re: Rear End loose/rattle sound

It helps if you can narrow down the area the sound seems to come from.
Even if you can only narrow it down to front or back, left side or
right. It helps to narrow down the search. Some of the more common
things to look for:
Loose, bent, broken T/A bolts
Worn steering column bushing
Worn/missing sway bar bushings
Worn ball joint
Worn tie rod end
Worn or missing rubber bushings on a shock.
Loose lug nuts

Some questions, does it change when turning, accelerating, braking?
Does it sound like metal-on-metal? You are really going to have to
lift the car to start looking. One of the big disadvantages of
lowering the car is the difficulty in lifting it. If you had a broken
T/A bolt you would know it!!!!! My first guess would be the steering
column bushing. Is the noise right under the dash by your feet?
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tom Watkins <outatime81@...> wrote:

> All of a sudden....(don't you hate that?) I'm getting a
clunking/loose sound when I am driving straight and going over uneven
roads.   It literally just started after I came out a the grocery
store.   Half-way home, I'm driving with the music turned up and I
think I hear something.....I turn the music off and sure enough, I'm
getting a rattle/clunk/loose sound.

>   It's not a side to side thing that's common with the rear end if
not lubricated.  I just had the rear end axles repacked by Rob last
sumer.   This is weird,   I had the DMCH suspension installed last
year as well as have hhad no issues.

>   Any thoughts?  At last inspection at Rob's my TA bolts where ok.
  I'm afraid to drive it anywhere now, even to take it to a local guy
to check it out.  With the DMCH lower suspension my floor jack doesn't
fit underneath it anymore to jack it up and look.

>   What does a broken TA sound like?
>
>   Thanks
>
>   Tom
>   #05732